how often for SW water changes?

Discussion in 'Salt' started by jack frost, Aug 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Is a 10g bi-weekly water change too much for a 29g Biocube?

2. Click Here!

3. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Those 2 things aren't the only reason for water changes. The main reason is to replace trace elements that can't be dosed that tank inhabitants need to stay healthy.

4. jack frost

jack frost Astrea Snail

ah, I got it. That was kinda the answer I was looking for. Sorry for another newb question though, what leaches those trace elements out? Is it the live rock and stuff that grows on it or does it just evaporate?

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

you can let them make suggestions but do your research before purchase. Keep a end goal in mind with your tank. Your tank will always run out of space before you run out of desire for animals, so wait for the gems.

For fish only you could go a long time if you don't have any nitrates. I would still probably do a larger yearly change tho.
    but with the equipment you mentioned I doubt you will have that situation.

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

many different things, it could be chemical reactions, filtration, or life inside the tank using them.

when you get your saltmix check out the ingredients and how they are psuedo properly proportioned. imagine trying to dose all that.

I use the term psuedo because no salt mix perfectly replicates sea water, although saltwater varies based on region anyway.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  7. jack frost

jack frost Astrea Snail

ty sir, So many questions....SW is soooo much more complicated than FW