How much to feed

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by keifer905, Jan 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. keifer905

keifer905 Peppermint Shrimp

Okay, I have had my 75 gal tank for 4 months. Irs inhabitants are a fire shrimp, a pep shrimp, a tri color fairy wrasse, and an engineer goby. I am geyying an atrosalarias fuscus also. How much, how often and what do I feed my current tank? With the blenny? I just want suggestions. Now I am feeding 1/8 of a mysis cube every morning and night. I am putting it on the powerhead so it sprays everywhere ;D Just things more experienced aquarists want to tell me is really appreciated!

2. Click Here!

3. keifer905

oh and this is my cuc
    70 Dwarf Ceriths
    31 Nassarius
    18 Florida Ceriths
    12 Large Nerite

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I wouldn't change anything if you are not having any nitrate and phosphate problems. If you are having those problems you will need to cut back. Once a day should be plenty for your fish. I took the frozen food I feed my fish, thawed it out mixed it together and then put it in a larger freezer bag, flattened it out and laid it on the bottom of the freezer. Now I can more closely regulate how much I feed my tank.

5. crazy reef love

crazy reef love Skunk Shrimp

I'd stick to that if it's working. But I would target feed the shrimp every couple of days with something like a turkey baster just to keep them happy. ;)

6. Pelado

Pelado Montipora Digitata

Some fish require different feeding regiments but generally once a day is good enough... that´s what I usually do...

7. keifer905

the shrimp comes out and gets some plus i see him eating other stuff in the tank

8. Click Here!

9. keifer905

how much algae syuff would i feed the blenny

10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Don't worry about target feeding the shrimp, it's not needed. As mentioned, if your not having any algae issues or high phosphates or nitrates, then continue doing what you are doing. I would however try to change up what you feed them every so often. I like to use mysis, blood worms, a mixture and flake food.

11. keifer905

Thanks, but should I also feed the highfin blenny algae food stuff?

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Eh... usually, but not always true. Shrimp in my tank starve. I just don't have enough filth in there for them to eat. I have to target feed them and it's not worth the trouble so I don't keep them anymore...

Since the demise of my shrimp eating Royal Gramma, I have only attempted this with peppermints to be fair in my response.

I got one, didn't spot feed it. Lasted about 3 weeks.

Got another (a pair actually) and spot fed it once or twice a week. After about 3 weeks I stopped doing it (really was a hassle for me and folks say it's not necessary). Two weeks later they were both dead.

I'm convinced they need spot feeding in my tank.

your mileage may vary