How much sand for a 55 gal tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by fantomas, Dec 3, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fantomas

fantomas Astrea Snail

I'm VERY new to SW but am currently on my way to setting up my first tank. It will be a FOWLR. Needless to say I've bought a few books and have been reading those front to back a few times and browsing here and other forums (This I think is my favorite) trying to learn as much as I can.

Anyways, on to my question. I'd like to get a jawfish because they seem to have a lot of personality like my FW Angels and brackish green spotted puffers. I've been reading that they need 3-5" of sand. The problem is, its sold by the lb, not cubic inch. About how much sand would I need to fill the approximate 2496 (13"x48"x4") cubic inches?

2. Click Here!

3. fantomas

fantomas Astrea Snail

aww crap just looked around some more and found the calculator...

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

[​IMG]

To 3Reef!!!

Salutations! Glad to see you found way here! ;D

Save a bundle on sand and look for the following at your local Home Depot - If they don't have in stock...they may order for you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Available at other sources on web. --- shipping may be a bit pricey - but usually total cost will be much less then the packaged "aquarium" sand found in most LFS's...

Whatever you do...do not use regular "playground" sand!

Good Luck!

The Tao of Marine Aquaria
    Tips for Our Hobby and Life

© 1997 Adam H. Whitlock
    Edited By Elizabeth M. Lukan 11/25/00

5. fantomas

fantomas Astrea Snail

Thanks! I'm heading out to HD right now to see what they have.

6. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Southdown got bought out. I cant remember who makes it now.

If you're going to HD, look for pavestone crushed limestone, not the pulverized.

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

That would be "Yardright"

Argonite Sand

The only sand that can be safely used from Home Depot is what used to be called "Southdown" now called YardrightOldcastle, it is argonite beach sand, and is same stuff LFS's sell for much more $$$ --- unfortunately it is not carried by most of the Home Depot outlets. You might be lucky. You could always request a special order.

See: YardRight/OldCastle Tropical Play Sand

[​IMG]

Description
    From the YardRight website:

Tropical Play Sand from the Caribbean is sterilized and silica-free.

From the Caribbean our Tropical Play Sand from YardRight™ Select is all-natural product from the Caribbean. It has a bright white color and a pure, soft feel. It's screened, sterilized and safe for kids.

Aragonite Sand

SKU # 578-819
    UPC # 0-210026-16865-5
    Model # 420-100

You could also try to order online here.

Even with shipping, you save bundles of money if you needed a couple of bags or more.

Order online here: Just Phish ---

Available:

Offline:
    HomeDepot stores
    Available at the following stores:
    MI
    Lansing (936 S Waverly Rd Lansing, MI 48917) Home De Pot ssells 50lb bags for $6.99.

NY
    Home Depot
    Newburgh, NY. Zipcode 12550

PA
    East Liberty, Pa. (400 North Highland Ave.) Home De Pot $3.84 plus 7% sales tax Year round in 50# bags Name is South Down Tropical Sand. I haven't tried it yet
    Mt Gravat Pet City $8.50 + gst AUD All Year. $8.50 for 10kg's of silver sand is very cheap.

North Fayette Twp. , Pa. (on route 22 towards Pittsburgh Airport, by WalMart) Home De Pot $3.84 plus 7% sales tax Year round in 50# bags The name is South Down Carribean Sand.

Perrysville, Pa. (112 Ben Avon Heights Rd.) Home De Pot $3.84 plus 7% sales tax Year round in 50# bags The name is South Down Tropical Sand.

Wilkensburg Twp., Pa. (3550 William Penn Highway) Home De Pot $3.84 plus 7% sales tax Year round in 50# bags The name is South Down Carribean Sand.

RI
    Warwick RI
    (e-mail [email protected] if you'd like directions)
    Home Depot around $5.00 for a 50lb bag(including RI sales tax)
    It was sold out the first time I went in(early summer) but was there in ample supply by July. I absolutely LOVE this sand and am SOOO happy I found it!

WI
    Home Depot
    4550 Verona Rd.
    Madison, WI 53711
    (608) 276-7922

Comments:
    YardRight Tropical Play Sand is an aragonite sand. It is not mined and does not contain silica dust like many playsands do. Many playsands are made from crushed rock which is mined and filled with impurities that should not be in any crabitat.

Many playsands contain crystalline silica, also known as quartz. Exposure to crystalline silica dust can cause lung diseases such as silicosis. Crystalline silica is a colorless mineral, also called quartz. It is an ingredient in sand and flint, which are used in making glass, cement, and concrete.

While the playsand you find in ToysRUs and other places is a lot less expensive this is one case where quality of a product far outweighs the cost.

;D​

8. Click Here!

9. fantomas

fantomas Astrea Snail

I went to two different HD's, Lowes, and Walmart and I couldn't find anything. I've been searching around some more and it looks like people have used the silica without problems. maybe I'll mix 50# of that bright white high desert sand and 70# of live sand.

10. clownfish

clownfish Skunk Shrimp

Hey Fantomas....I'm new at this too, but look at this Marine Substrates: Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Sand at Drs. Foster & Smith it's what I started my tank with. I couldn't have chosen a better sand. My tank's full of copepods and my fish and inverts can't get enough of them...they are tiny bug like inverts that live in the sand, and later on take over your live rock too. This sand is awesome. Beautiful white grain, not too small, not big at all. The price is unbeatable as well. You have a 55 Gal tank, I suggest you do at least one pound per gallon. For 55 bucks you can have 60 lbs of this sand. Not bad at all.

11. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale