How much live rock do I need??

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Reefaholic, May 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reefaholic

Reefaholic Plankton

Ok, it's taken me 3 months to get everything I need, and now I'm down to purchasing my live rock. I don't have a local dealer, so I need to purchase it on the internet. I'll be getting it from www.liverockranch.com , and I'm not sure how much I should get. I have a 130 gallon tank, (72x18x24) and would like to have a lot of it. I was thinking about getting 200# of their Premium Decorator Aquacultured Live Rock, but don't know if this is enough, or if I should get half of it as Base Aquacultured Live Rock or maybe even Premium Dry Rock. I'm not too concerned about the difference in price, i just want to use what is best for my tank and cycling process. Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

I would get 1 to 1 1/2 lbs per gallon.
    I would do mostly dry with a small percentage live of that particular rock. They aquaculture their rock in the Keys, which means a lot of not-so-good hitchhikers are likely (mantis, pistols, gorilla crabs, aiptasia, majano, nudibranchs, etc.).

4. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

I would say I good 140lbs would be good,

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

5. LukeJustice

LukeJustice Plankton

Mariculture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Ryans Reef

Ryans Reef Plankton

200 lbs. is a good number to have for a 130, the good thing about live rock is u really cant overdo it, you can have as much as you want. it doesnt matter which one you go with, whatever makes you the happiest and you think would make a cool aquascape. Whatever you get make sure that some of it comes in wet so that the "live" part is still alive and all the beneficial creatures that inhabit it. You can mix dry base with it you just want to make sure that some of the rock you put in is alive. Stability is a great product in cycling a tank just fyi.

1 person likes this.
  7. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

I used their term.

8. Click Here!

9. Reefaholic

Reefaholic Plankton

thanks for everyones input. Yes Ryan, the rock i order comes to the airport and I pick it up the same day they ship it, so hopefully it will be in good "live" shape and wet.

10. coyle

coyle Bristle Worm

That florida live rock is nice, I have it in my own tank, but it does come with unwelcome hitchhikers; especially those mantis shrimp which can be REALLY hard to get rid of and kill crabs, shrimp etc.

11. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

in most tanks under a hundred gallons a good rule is 2lbs. per gallon, but in such a large tank i dont know if the same rule applies.

12. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

I'd do 120# of dry Reef Saver rock from Bulk Reef Supply then 30# of premium live rock.