How much light is required in the refugium?

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Paul Boutin, Apr 3, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Paul Boutin

Paul Boutin Plankton

My Chato Alge is not growing. I havent added Pods to it yet in feer my lighting is not enough. I have an under cabinet led fixture tucked in the corner out of the way. It has enough light for me to work in there to see what im doing. However I dont think its enough. Its not over the refugium as i dont have much space. My sump is 2 5.5 gal tanks stacked. The fug is on the bottom with about 3 1/2 - 4 inches of head room. see image below.

How much light is required and what kinds of fixtures would work in such a tight spot?

[​IMG]

The other question is reversing the light schedule so the fug lights are on at night... I get too much light leaking out into the room and the back of the DT for my liking at night. Are there any solutions you guys might share?

2. Click Here!

3. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Your light is probably fine. The issue is you don't have a lot of nutrients in your system for the chaeto to grow. What are your nitrates at? And also, go ahead and add pods, they don't need light.

4. Paul Boutin

Paul Boutin Plankton

My Nitrates are at around 20 consistently. I have phos-ban in a micron bag tied to the drain pipe. Also have a skimmer in the sump before the fuge. Its hard to see its a HOB that is in the back of the stand. I'll get some Pods... thx. I assume that the algae will grow slow then. Also its a higher flow fuge than some people like. I was getting explosions of Diatoms in the DT before i increased the flow rate and added the phos-ban. Now my water is crystal clear and whats left of the algae in the DT is enough to keep my CUC occupied and alive.

5. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Do you have the K rating of your light? Ideal is 5500K-6500K.

6. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

A cfl bulb from the local hardware store will work great, if you want to go LED a par 38 bulb with about 12 watts or so of light at 6500K works awesome for chaeto growth as well.

7. Paul Boutin

Paul Boutin Plankton

I dont have a k rating... it was a led fixture on the clearance rack for 6 bucks. Unfortunately there is no k or par rating on it.

8. Click Here!

9. Paul Boutin

Paul Boutin Plankton

Not sure If I could fit a standard bulb fixture down there. I was thinking of a simple waterproofed 12inch florescent would do the trick, however Id have to find the right one. I have the fixture from my old Tank-top I could probably break it apart and build something to fit. Just dont want to break something i could resell or include with my tank if i ever upgrade.

10. sng

sng Plankton

Im using a LED PAR30 6000-6500K, and my cheato is growing crazy. Purchase the light bulb on ebay for 10 bucks.

11. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid