How much flow thru carbon?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by ibefishy, Mar 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

I am setting up a media reactor with some GAC and was wondering what the flow rate thru the carbon should be?

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Does not really matter, but the carbon needs to be held in place and can't be allowed to tumble. It will rub itself into powder. Any small pump doing 200-300 gph for a 100g tank or there abouts.

4. 4phish

4phish Montipora Digitata

I recently posed this question to a guy at my LFS. He told me to have medium to low flow. You want whatever the carbon is picking up to really get trapped in the reactor. I had been using a Quiet One 800 and he sold me a Maxi Jet 1200 (295gph). I have ran this since sat. and I can already see a difference in my water.

5. Toronto_Guy

Toronto_Guy Fire Shrimp

low to medium. what kind of reactor do you have? I have two phosban reactors set up in series. Carbon first, then phos-ban in the second.

They aren't really designed to handle any sort of high pressure water. All the tube attachments are quick release for ease of cleaning and media replacement... but if you had any sort of high flow or pressure going thought there, they'd be leaking or popping out.

6. ibefishy

Thanks
    I have 2 two little fishies reactors. In one I run Rowaphos and the other is carbon and both are being fed from a single maxijet 1200.

7. Toronto_Guy

Toronto_Guy Fire Shrimp

I'm using Rowaphos at the moment too. Basically, you need enough flow that the Rowaphos just tumbles at the top, kind of like the surface going around in a wave.

Too much flow, especially when the media is new, and you'll just end up with Rowaphos in your sump or DT.

I use the ball valve that came with the reactor on my input line to adjust the flow. I pack the carbon reactor full, so it tumbling and becoming powder isn't an issue. Just remember that the valve has to go on the input line. If you put it on the output, you will pressurize the reactors and they will leak.

8. Click Here!

9. ibefishy

My reactor with the rowaphos has been running for about 2 weeks and all is good there I just set up the carbon reactor today. So far all is well no leaks or anything like that. I also used clamps on all the connections just to be sure I dont have any leak problems.

10. Toronto_Guy

Toronto_Guy Fire Shrimp

Just gauge your flow rate to keep the Rowaphos tumbling, and the carbon reactor will be fine at the same rate.

11. ccscscpc

ccscscpc Millepora

Can you post some pics of the setups?
    I just ordered another Phosban and will be doing the same thing and want to see how you guys did it!
    Thanks!

12. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

It has been said.... but if you are running your reactors in series, then the flow through the carbon is irrelavent. The flow through the phosban will determin flow. I put my carbon second to catch any fines from the phosban like a filter. Your phosban is the limiting factor. Also as the media gets plugged flow will drop off. You can only push through so much media, so packing everything full will not help much. Something putting out 300 gph should be enough.