How much each feeding?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Midnight_Madman, Jun 29, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

I always seem to guess at how much I should be putting in there for my guys.
    Right now I only have a medium size yellow tang and two percula clownfish. One small one medium. Also, a peppermint shrimp
    I am giving them about 2 pinches (maybe 20 tiny pellets)of hikari marine -s- pellets and a pinch of o.s.i spirulina flake. Twice a day.
    Is this enough for them?

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

If they are getting larger yes. If they seem to be getting skinny you will need to add more.

4. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

Only had them a week.
    How about what I am feeding? Its good stuff but is it enough nutrients?

5. john1948

john1948 Feather Duster

A good rule of thumb is to feed just enough that will be consumed by your fish within 3 minutes, with as little as possible hitting the bottom. As far as how often, two or times a day (small feedings) should be fine. Also, check your nitrate level every two or three days until you feel comfortable with the amount and frequency of your feedings. If nitrates are getting too high, your probably feeding too much.

6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

the more nutrients you can export the more you can feed...
    this comes in handy when you strive for an ultra low nutrient system (ULNS). if interested in one, try googling it for details on how to achieve ;)