How much did your protein skimmer cost?

Discussion in '3reef Site Polls' started by Matt Rogers, May 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

How much did your protein skimmer cost?

1. $0 - $200

88 vote(s)
    46.3%
  2. $200 - $300

48 vote(s)
    25.3%
  3. $300 - $500

34 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. $500 - $700

8 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. $700 - $1000

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  6. > $1000

5 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

around 400 or so for my euro reef cs 100

2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

coralife super skimmer 125. paid 239 . and it works quite well. easy to get the bubbles where needed and stays consistant

4. coolridernum1

coolridernum1 Feather Duster

skimmers

I paid 29.99+shipping=36.00?

Odyssa?
    model 75

Yes make dark dark skim.

5. sean_p_f

sean_p_f Sea Dragon

I also am running an ASM G2 on my 72 gallon and am looking into an ASM G4 for the upcoming 150.

6. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

Until a hobbyist can experience the difference between a few skimmers they really dont know what alot or good skimmate is. A suped up honda is fast to someone whos never driven a corvette, and a corvette is fast to someone whos never driven a lambo. My Atb 840 cone can pull 2 -3 times the amount of dark skimmate my euro reef could in the same amount of time, sure it was 400 more dollars but now i know my fish arent swimming around in their own filth. :)

7. dahos

dahos Feather Duster

Prizm Pro Deluxe. Paid less than $200.

It seems to do ok, I get about a cup of dark brown liquid a week but like some others have said, it is my first and only one I have used so I have nothing to compare it to.

I am sure there are better ones out there but I am not ready to crank out $800+ right now.

I am surprised no one on here has come up with a DIY skimmer that works as good as those expensive models.

Seems like a pretty easy concept to construct, a container, water flow and something to make bubbles, oh ya and a collection cup.

Hell, I may try for the fun of it. I need some projects to keep my mind off of not smoking, LOL.

8. Click Here!

9. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

I am running the Aqua Medic Turboflotor Multi SL skimmer and love it. It works great and am very happy with it. My first skimmer I was duped into buying was a seaclone so I am more than happy to have this one . I have really gotten my monies worth out of this one.

10. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Well. Maybe. Read the post above.
    Does a Dewalt drill drill better than a cheap one? H$^# yeah. It may drill the same but the motor and battery last way longer.
    Skimmers have a little more design and material than a 2X4. It can't be all hype for a more expensive skimmer.

11. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I took the first post to mean you were questioning the performance of more expensive skimmers over less expensive.

Honestly, I thought my EV-120 did a good job. I tend to believe performance does not equal cost. But as you mentioned HOW it does it's job is usually better. I have no doubts my Red Devil is a much better pump than my Mag 7.

12. duhlsusional

duhlsusional Flamingo Tongue