how many quarantine their new fish?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by GuitarMan89, Jul 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Quarantine or Not?

1. yes

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. no

16 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I couldn't help but notice that there are many posts that need help with ich or some other disease. How many people quarantine their new arrivals?

2. Click Here!

3. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

I never had in the past, but certainly will now. QT is setup and ready to go.

4. WCW

WCW Feather Duster

after my 'experience' of just introducing a sailfin tang 3-4 months ago and the ensuing trouble it caused, I always will from now on. lol

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Not bad insurance for just a little bit of trouble.

Not as much for possible disease/parasite infection, but for giving the new fish a break -stress free rest period after traveling from home, to collector, to LFS, etc...before throwing into busy community tank.

Also like them exposed to a small dilution of Cu treated water for couple of days before going into tank.

As my LFS does this, I never buy a fish unless he holds for me for a few days in his tanks, before it comes home to mine. (also gives chance to make sure is eating well and capable of adapting to new environment)

Have never bought a fish from anywhere else.

Have never had any kind of ICK or major parasite problem. ("knocking...")

:-/

6. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

I answered no, however after losing a cardinalfish one week after we put him in the tank, I went and bought a setup for a 10g quarantine today.

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I had one bad experience with ich and a tang that prompted me to go get a 10g set up. It was worth it.

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I used to run a LFS. I built a QT facility that had more gallons in it than did the store. Most LFS's don't do this so the responsibility falls on you. In spite of everything I did, I still told my customers to QT even things that came out of my store.

There are many people who've lost entire tanks due to their failure to QT new purchases. Setting one up is easy and inexpensive. I cannot understand why more people don't do this.

10. Bigjoeybx

Bigjoeybx Astrea Snail

I quarantined all my fish for a month except my algea blennie for fear he wouldn't eat regular food and just the algea. Didn't want him to starve so I put him right in the display. But a QT is very neccesary in my opinion.

11. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I don't because I don't have a quarantine tank... ;);)

12. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Some times I come home and find a new fish in the tank anyway. I ask my wife, did you at least acclimate it, and she replies "what's that mean?" QT is definitely a good practice, and it's easy to have a QT tank set up while you are slowly stocking your new tank. All the big aquariums QT all thier animals when they get them in.