How many Pumps do you have running your Reef Tank

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Cat4wisson, May 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

How many pumps run your Reef System? Water/Air/Circulation

1. 1-2 Pumps

21.3%
  2. 2-4 Pumps

34.4%
  3. 4-6 Pumps

29.5%
  4. 6-10 Pumps

13.1%
  5. 10-13 Pumps

1.6%
  6. 15 + Over Pumps

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Cat4wisson

Cat4wisson Feather Duster

I was just curious how many pumps most people have running their reef tanks?
    In the future I would like to upgrade to a larger tank and would like to run it all on 1 Pump, something like a Supreme Hy-Drive Aquarium Pump with a flow rate of about 4800 gph for a 150 gal tank. Planning on having it run all tank flow(split up into about 6 or 8 returns),skimmer and denitrator.

Is this feasible?

Currently I have 9 pumps running a 72 gal tank between 4 koralias,2 mag 3's for return from fuge and running my skimmer/denitratior,2 aqualifters for topoff and cpr overflow, and a biowheel filter(without the biowheels installed or filter pads, with some cheato for circulation).

Seems like 1 pump would be about the same wattage according to the info I've seen online.

Anyone know how loud this pump would be?

Aquarium Water Circulation and Water Pumps: Eugene Danner Supreme Hy-Drive Pumps

The 4800 gph version..

Thanks for the input.

cat4wisson

2. Click Here!

3. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

Matt done a poll on this already. I run mine on two pumps. The main pump and one for the skimmer

4. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I have a pump for each overflow so that is two plus the one for the skimmer being 3 and then the one on the phosban making 4 total. then there are 7 powerheads to make the current just right.

5. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

1 return..1 for the skimmer..2 ph's

6. newbie

newbie Bristle Worm

I try to put every thing Ive got pluged in the wall out of my mind most of the time..

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

2 powerheads (one is a koralia 8 and other is a 4). 2 pumps for my protein skimmer, 2 for my UV (have 2 UV hooked up...small ones), 1 for my phosban, 1 for my return pump...I think that is all

I personally like the increased flow going in my tank...corals do better, plus they grow really nice patterns!

8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Could this be done for the skimmer? How would you achieve air intake into the skimmer?

I could see it being utilized for everything else, though.

10. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I have a mag 56 in my pond at my house and I have tested it and honestly after hearing how its about silent I thought about putting it into my tank and running everything off it. its just as quiet as my mag 18 that runs my skimmer. I dont hear the 18 I hear very softly my 2 marineland 5500s though bet barely. my tank is in my bedroom and we only hear the overflows as im pushing over the 1400gph tank rating through the overflow but that is still something hardly heard.

11. Cat4wisson

Cat4wisson Feather Duster

I was looking at the Remora EV-180 Series that use a Spray Injection System so I don't think they operate in the same way. I think if I put a gate valve before it to adjust the flow it may work. But I may be wrong.

Anyone have any experiance with larger pumps and how much noise they give off, it would be in our living room, don't want it to sound like a train going through.;)

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I only have 2 pumps in my system. A magdrive18 as the RP and a magdrive7 for the skimmer. Simple but effective. Luna