How many pounds of substrate do I need for a 60 gal hexagon tank?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by sollie7, Dec 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

also should I order

crushed coral

aragonite sand

or arag alive sand

thanks

2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I think the general rule of thumb is 1 - 1.5 pounds of sand per gallon. And you want aragonite sand. I'm not sure exactly why, but I've read and heard to stay away from crushed coral.

4. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Might need to use less than for a "normal" 60gal. tank,if your hex is on the tall side as many seem to be.It is the opinion of a lot of people,including myself that paying extra for live sand is not necessary,plain dry aragonite sand will do just fine and will become live in time.The reason some people don't reccomend using crushed coral is it tends to trap detrius and other waste.

5. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

yeah my tank is really tall im so exited to get it set up

getting things for it for christmas

should have it set up by the new year

is 30lbs sand good?

anyone try this additive?

Coral & Invertebrate Supplements: Instant Ocean Reef Accelerator

6. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

7. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

40lb might be good,I think most sand is sold in 20lb bags so you could try two and see how you like it.You can always add more if needed,most people try for a 2-3 inch sandbed.Also, its recommended to stack your rock directly on the bottom glass and add your sand around it.This should make your rock more stable,less chance of it falling.I've never used that additive you gave the link for.It may not be good to use additives on a new tank until after it has cycled and has had time to stabilize,then you can test your water to see if any are necessary.In most cases you won't need anything a good salt mix doesn't already contain.For beginning a new tank startup test kits are money well spent,the API SALWATER MASTER TEST KIT is a good one,not very expensive and contains the four tests that are important for a new tank,ammonia,nitrite,nitrate and ph.Hope this helps and good luck with your new tank! Dave

8. Click Here!

9. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

I personally would use around 60-80 lbs of sand, Thats just me though, would give a nice sand bed, and I would stick to the normal aragonite sand.... the live stuff is a waste of money IMO.

I went with the 1/1 ratio of pound per gallon, and regretted it. Ended up adding about another 40 lbs just recently.

10. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

thanks everyone I should be getting a test kit for christmas, and ill be using reef crystals