How many pods for my 150?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Greg9MM, Jun 11, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

I was looking on Algae Barn and debating on getting some pods to give my tank a little boost. I know I have pods because I find a couple in the filter sock all the time but I want to add more. Its a 150 gallon with a lot of rock and a lot of coral. Is 16 oz (3000 plus pods) good or should I go with the half gallon (12,000). I am thinking the 12000 might be over kill.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

They will multiply once in your tank. If you put more in than you can feed you will probably cause some problems.

Billme and Mr. Bill like this.
  4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1

Like many other organisms we find in our tanks, pod population is regulated by food supply. Pods, btw, feed mainly on algae.

5. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Agreed with above. Do you have chaeto or other macralgae growing? You might want to look at the addition as just introducing new species. If the environment is right, they will reproduce to fit the environment. Excess will die off.

mdbostwick and Mr. Bill like this.
  6. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

I dont have chaeto but I will def look into it. And the addition is more or less just to maybe mix up the bloodline a little. The tank has been running for about 7 or 8 years and I added about 2000 pods about 2 years ago. Thought it wouldnt be a bad idea to do from time to time.

Billme, mdbostwick and Mr. Bill like this.
  7. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

i would say the addition of 1000 would be plenty for diversity. Now if you are getting them from different sources, then more would be better as the population from different sources would more than likely give you some different species.

Mr. Bill likes this.