How Many Of U Use Tap Water Or RO/DI

Discussion in '3reef Site Polls' started by nemo79, Jul 26, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

How Many Of U Use Tap Water Or RO/DI?

1. RO/DI

53 vote(s)
    67.9%
  2. TAP

16 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. DISTILLED

5 vote(s)
    6.4%
  4. WELL

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. RAIN

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. BOTTLED WATER

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  7. OCEAN

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  8. OTHER

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. NUCLEAR FUSION

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. blue_eyes53813

blue_eyes53813 Flamingo Tongue

2. Click Here!

3. 90_Berlin_joe

90_Berlin_joe Fire Shrimp

What about rain water HeHe!!!!!!

Can i add to the question of using TAP or RO/DI water being used. If using Tap water how is your tank doing. Please post some level and maybe pics. Maybe using RO/DI water is like buying Fuji water because you like the taste. Maybe a perfectly running Reef system can be done using tap!!! Do you TAP guys treat the water with anything and if so what?

4. 90_Berlin_joe

extention of post :How Many Of U Use Tap Water Or Ro/di

Ro/di

Tap

Tap Treated

Rain

Ocean

Distilled

Purified

Bottled Drinking Water

Other

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Le Sigh.....I hate to keep having to repeat myself but tap water in most states is full of stuff that we can't taste or test for. I live in CT and the water out of my tap is considered to be very clean and tastes pretty darn good. Would I put it in my tank? No. Why? Here's why:

MDC - Drinking Water

I honestly don't know how folks can claim to not have the money to buy an r.o. unit but they have money to burn when it comes to live rock and corals and other livestock. Ask any long time reefer what the most important piece of equipment is in this hobby and you can bet that an r.o. unit is on the top five of that list.

6. 90_Berlin_joe

amcarrig, i agree with you 100% on the RO/DI alot of money is poured into these setups and I personally would not risk tap or any other water. Heck I won't even drink my tap water.

I'm just looking to see if we are missing something here. I am sure back when aquariums started they did not have RO/DI units and had to use tap. 20 years later there RO/DI what is going to be in another 20years.

If you look at the structure of the ocean, the dirty rivers feed into it. So tap water should be fine with the proper LR and skimming. Or am i just trying to blow smoke up someone's ars.

7. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

Once I get my overflow and my return pump bought. An ro unit is on its way.

8. Click Here!

9. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

+4 RO/DI
    My tap water is straight for the Mississippi but all tap water is bad for your reef.

If you can't afford a RO/DI use Distilled until you can get one but it is really a must have.

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

20 years ago, people weren't keeping the animals that we keep in our aquariums these days. A majority of the marine aquariums back then were fish only tanks which are alot more tolerable of "dirty" water than a reef tank is.

Also, you cannot compare the "diluting" ability of a large body of water like the ocean to our little glass boxes. We'll never be able to do what nature does on its own in such a small playing field.

11. Willieo101587

Willieo101587 Flamingo Tongue

I've only been in the hobby for a little over a year, but everyone I talked to before hand said that you absolutely need RO/DI to start a reef tank. Personally, my tank has enough problems as it is, without tap/distilled water to mess it up further.

12. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

I use RO/DI....but I don't have an RO unit, yet. I buy my RO from the LFS. Certainly those of you without RO units could do the same. Sure it's a pain sometimes but for the most part I need to go to the LFS anyways for one thing or another. Fill up my 2 jugs, usually both with RO water and once every few weeks I'll fill one with RO Saltwater to do a change.