how many chromis again??

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by elweshomayor, Nov 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

hey guys, im about to go to the lfs and buy some chromis.. how many can i get again??... i was thinking 8. but can i go ahead and add more? like maybe 10?
    i have a 150G tank. with a foxface.
    im planning on having 2 tangs as well. and maybe an angelfish, a goby and a butterfly fish(still dont know about the butterfly) is that to much?

2. Click Here!

3. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

I would go with 7 or 9. I heard it's always best to keep them in odd numbers.

4. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

well ill go with 9 then??

5. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

I don't see why not. I'm not 100% on how many can be kept in that size of a tank but it sounds good to me. Be sure to post pics when you get them. I love the look of a small school in the tank.

6. hooch

hooch Astrea Snail

If you are going to put 8 chromis in the tank, know that they will grow to their full size in a tank that big. they get around 6 inches or so and become very agressive at full size. i started my 125 with 3 of them and in less than 3 months had doubled in size and were out out competing my other fish that were a bit more timid (other fish being a sailfin tang, royal gramma, and a foxface just like yours. i know that they are cheap but if i were you i would just save up for somthing that gets a little less agressive, just my feeling. on the other hand if you do put them in know that they are a @#$% to get out of a big tank unless you remove all of the rock to catch them. i would only put 4 in if you are planning on getting tangs 4 full grown damsles the tangs and the foxface will put you at a comfortable stocking level (for me at least) for a reef tank.

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

In my own experience....you will more then likely loose a bunch of them..simply because of the collection of the fish. They are deepwater fish and are just pulled up and their air bubbles are punctured. Some places will gradually rise them up and allow them to recover and then raise them up more. This is not done a lot with fish that are that inexpensive :{

Ask at the store how long they have had them. If they have been there for a couple weeks then it should be ok. But I have already seen the number of chromis that die when a store receives them in!

8. Click Here!

9. cira050

cira050 Torch Coral

Not my experience at all, sounds more like your describing a damsel, not a chromis. All of my chromis were peaceful as h*** full grown, if i wanted to take them out of the tank they didnt move a muscle and let me catch them, and they were very good fish. But again, were both speaking out of experience and experiences will differ so it could just be luck of the draw. Good luck on the tank and post pics once you decide.

10. WuWu

WuWu Feather Star

I started with 9 in my 72 I'm down to 6 and may hi 5 soon

11. hooch

hooch Astrea Snail

You are correct i was describing a damsel my bad. though i have heard that chromis do establish a pecking order between them. chromies get about 4 inches max leingth. so 7 or 8 should be fine. i have also heard that the one of the more passive damsels is the lemmon damsel. sorry for the confusion bout the damsel/chromis thing.

12. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

lol i was getting a little scared about that...:p
    i heard they are supposed to be hardy fish..??