How long until I see results?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by brannock_16, Oct 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. brannock_16

brannock_16 Ritteri Anemone

How long until I start to see my Green Hair Algae start to disappear? I just started to run a Media Reactor with Bellaphos, but the algae seems to be getting larger and larger and continues to spread. What should I do? Will this stuff begin to kill any of my corals? What should I be looking for?

2. Click Here!

3. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

What are your nitrates and phosphates at? Throwing media in a reactor without knowing current levels won't get you anywhere. How often do you feed? RO/DI water? Light schedule?

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

It still sounds like nitrates and phosphates are still coming from somewhere, either you are over feeding or they are coming from sponges and dirty filters.

5. brannock_16

Nitrates are at 0. Unsure on phosphates. I feed once per day, and I feed either frozen mysis, brine, veggie delight, or formula 2. I always use RO/DI from the LFS and their TDS meter always reads 0. I have the actinics on for about 2 hours per day, 10 K on for about 7-9 (with actinics), and then I have two moonlights on during the night.

6. brannock_16

I clean the sponge on my protein skimmer once per week, and other than that I have no other sponges or filters on the tank (other than the protein skimmer).

7. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Do you have a fuge? Nitrates are coming from somewhere, probably showing as 0 due to all the GHA. I noticed a huge difference as soon as I put a clump of chaeto in my sump with a 6500k CF spotlight.