How long to your acclimate your fish?

Discussion in '3reef Site Polls' started by Matt Rogers, Feb 26, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

How long to your acclimate your fish?

1. 15 Minutes.

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  2. 20 Minutes.

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  3. 30 Minutes.

13 vote(s)
    23.6%
  4. 45 Minutes.

8 vote(s)
    14.5%
  5. 1 Hour.

12 vote(s)
    21.8%
  6. Longer.

12 vote(s)
    21.8%
  1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

How long to your acclimate your fish? What method of acclimation do you follow?

I float bag in tank for 10 - 15 minutes. Then start adding a couple handfuls aquarium water to the bag every 10-15 minutes up to 45 minutes. Then I dump out the water through a net to catch the fish and add it to the tank. Doing the net thing can stress the fish out a bit, but I'd rather do that than add the LFS water to my tank. Sometimes their tanks are copper-treated and that's not something you want to add to your reef.

2. Click Here!

3. Rustynuts

Rustynuts Flamingo Tongue

Float the bag for 10 minutes or so, then decant the fish and transport water into a dedicated plastic container. Siphon tube drips water in at 1 drip per second for 1/2 hour, then a slow trickle for 1/2 hour. Then net the fish and into the tank with 'em.

4. acenia

acenia Spaghetti Worm

also drip them for 45 min. then i put them in the tank without the lfs's water....

5. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

I do what you do Matt, but I gently cradle the fish in my hand and remove them from the bag to place them in the tank. But I always do a FW dip and then place in a QT tank. One battle with Ich makes me a big believer in this method.

6. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

i float for a 1/2 hr then add water,... 15-mins later i remove that same amount of water and replace it w/new tank water i do this 3xs the same way, takes a little over an hour.pour off the water then let them slide down the bag into the tank,theyer always ready to feed every time ive done it this way

7. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Gresham where are you at...? Anyway I drip for a half hour and net the fish and put it in the tank. Will probably start FW dripping and QT'ing now that I have some value in the tank.

8. Click Here!

9. giopimentel

giopimentel Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I float bag for about 10 min, then drip method for about 30 minutes, net and put into tank. What about Stress Coat? Do you guys use it?

10. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

add fish/coral/invertebrate to small container (set-up with heater) including lfs water. drip acclimate and after every 10 minutes, dump half the water out. continue this method for 40-50 minutes until it's safe to say the majority of the water in the container is from your tank. add animal into the established tank including the water. easy-peasy!

11. Frizza

Frizza Coral Banded Shrimp

I leave the bag floating for 15-20mins, I add 1/2 cup of water to the bag every 10 minutes until the water doubles. Remove half the water and repeat again. Then I net the fish and put into the tank.

I have used stress coat with no ill side effects....touch wood!

12. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

I place them in a 6 gal salt bucket and start a drip. I don't rush. Typically they are there for over 1 hour and closer to 2. I'll wait till there is around 5 gallons in the bucket then net them so I don't use any LFS water. I dump the old water. Same for corals and inverts.