How long to wait!

Discussion in 'Clams' started by starfish2217, May 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

I plan on getting a clam somewhere down the road once my tank is fully established. How long is good to wait until a tank is ready for a clam, I don't plan on getting one soon by any means, but I plan on getting one eventually!

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Test your Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium (and Nitrates) weekly and chart it. Once you find that your tank is staying consistent long-term, that means that your waterchange and/or supplementation regimen is handling your tank correctly.

4. shoebox

shoebox Bubble Tip Anemone

I cannot wait to get a clam. I plan on waiting till October, that will mean the tank has been up and running for 9 month's It's not just that the tank is ready but that I will be ready. Trust me it is killing me to wait but I want the clam to do well.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

+1 on inwalls post, stability and a good dosing regimen will be your best friend in keeping a clam.

Crocea and maximas are rock boring clams and should be placed on your rocks and need the most light. The rest can go in the sand and need less light.

Crocea grow to around 6", maximas to around 12". The others grow larger than 18".

6. starfish2217

What would be a good dosing regimen ?

7. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

For dosing each tank is different and will need the major 3 in different amounts. I waited over a year to get a clam i have a mark and wipe calendar next to my tank that i track everything on :) I do test once a week one before a water change and one 2 - 3 hours after just to make sure everything is staying close there where it should be.

8. Click Here!

9. starfish2217

What would be the best dosage for a 40 gal, not heavily stocked?

10. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

You would have to do you testing first to see where you ALK and CALC are then you can come up with a dosing plan. It also dependant apon what you coral wise in your tank a largely SPS populated tank will require more dosing then maybe a LPS and softie tank of the same size.

In the water chem fourm I found this as a good referance where everything should be: http://www.3reef.com/forums/water-chemistry/alk-cal-mag-rec-chart-per-aquarium-type-97415.html then you can dose to get everything stable at these levels. :)

11. starfish2217

yaay thank you :) I'll get on that !