how long should I wait for zoas too open?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by tharsis, May 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tharsis

tharsis Peppermint Shrimp

So I was at the LFS yesterday wanting to buy some zoas (i am addicted). I wanted just a small 10 polyp frag or something. All he ever has are huge honkin' rocks (not to good for my 10 gallon tank) but he said he had just the one, he just had to find it. Anyways, after a few minutes, he found it overturned and partially buried. So he gave it to me for free and told me to see what I could do with it.

I temperature acclimated it when i got home, and then put it in the tank in a small ceramic dish so I don't lose it. I can see polyps on it but they are not looking so hot, and they haven't opened after ~ 24 hours now.

How long should I wait before I give up on them? I would love to be able to get them to open for me but i don't want to pollute my tank with decaying matter if it is hopeless.

2. Click Here!

3. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Put them in a high flow area and blow on them lightly with a pipette ;)
    JJL

1 person likes this.
  4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If it was partially turned over in the sand it could stay mad for quite a few days. If is does not melt than I would not give up on it, if they were not fragged recently you have a good shoot at them recovering.

5. tharsis

tharsis Peppermint Shrimp

nice I will give that a try :)

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Give them an iodine dip, it may help them recover.