How long should I leave each light on?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Coasterofluv, Jan 9, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Coasterofluv

Coasterofluv Fire Worm

Good morning reefers!
    I'm so stoked my soft corals are fine. Whew. Yesterday I wasn't a happy camper.
    Anyways, I've got a 30g peaceful reef (this may be on my siggy?) and I have the Coralife Lunar Aqualight T5 Lamp High Output Fixture and was wondering how many hours I should run the day bulbs...should I run them alone or with the actinic...when/should/for how long run actinic alone and the same for the lunar lights.
    Right now I turn on the white and purple and run them for like 9-10 hours then leave the lunar LEDs on for 1-2 hours before I shut it all down.
    I'm trying to sustain as much soft corals as possible. When I get the hang of things I want to add an anenome and possibly a clam but I doubt it.
    More like bubble and carpet anenome.

A schedule would be so great. Thanks a bunch!!

2. Click Here!

3. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Most of our corals come from reefs near the equator. So, 12 hours on light per day. Personally, I like the first and last few hours to be actinic, which gives a it of a dusk-dawn effect and then the whites as well, in the middle. I don't think there is a "right" answer though, as long as everything is healthy.

4. ledaqualights

ledaqualights 3reef Sponsor

Yeah i agree with m2434 here. If there are any issues with algae then reduce the time they are on from 8-10 hours.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I run 10 hours with the actinic/blue bulbs and 8 hours with daylight bulbs. I have the daylights come on one hour after the actinics come on.

6. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

I run my blues from 9 am to 10 pm. I have 3 400W MH that I run to assimilate sun rise. The first one comes on at 1 pm and goes off at 7 pm, the second comes on at 2 pm and goes off at 8 pm, and my last comes on at 3 pm and goes off at 9 pm.

7. ledaqualights

ledaqualights 3reef Sponsor

Yeah likewise, seems to work fine. I was at 12 hours but was having issues with algae growth

8. Click Here!

9. Coasterofluv

Coasterofluv Fire Worm

I am seriously going to have to get a timer. I leave here for school at 6:30am on Tuesdays and Thursdays and that kind of limits my options.

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

My blues/colors/uv come on about 12:30 and go off around 1 AM with a 2 hour sunset period, because, well the blues look awesome and thats my peace/quiet time to enjoy the tank and feed.

the whites are on from 2 till 11 PM;)

11. Coasterofluv

Coasterofluv Fire Worm

yeah I definitely need a timer!! Thankfully my Uv/white and LED all have their own power cords.

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I like to run my actinics a good amount of the time. I vary with how much they are on, I prefer the actinics and then have the daylight on for 6 hours and actinic for like 9. I only have "easy" soft corals at this point. I'm sure that will be different once I'm able to house an anemone - I saw that was perhaps a goal for you too. I'm going to splurge once I get my water quality to a good place and buy ATI bulbs for my T5 bulbs. I most likely will need a timer too at that time.

Oh, I saw on anther thread that you found your goby!! Good news!