How long should a fish tank last?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by cuttingras, Sep 22, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

How long should a fish tank last? I'm talking the tank itself. Seals/glues? I know the glass is good forever unless you break it(duh), but the construction of it? Know what I mean?

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

The glass isnt good forever as I recently discovered. Its made of silica that various things feed on and eventually it will dissolve but it will take a super duper long time for that to happen. If the tank was made in like the last 5yrs, the silicone should last 20+ years, if its older then 5yrs or so, they typically last for 10-15 yrs. I know a few people have had tanks a lot longer then that that are still holding up.

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I hope my tanks last for a long time as I have alot of money invested in my tanks...LOL
    I don't want to come home from work and find everything on the floor as the tank came apart!

5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

The rimless and euro braced tanks are the ones to be the most concerned about as they dont have a rigid plastic brace that goes around the top and bottom.

6. cuttingras

gotcha! I was wondering since mine is 5 years old. The silicone is black and under the tank I have salt creep. Not sure where it's comming from but it's collected in areas.

7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

check all of your cords and see if you got salt creep coming from the tank at the top, see if you got any moisture on the back too. what brand of tank is it?

8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

Mine has braces, not sure of the make though. Bought it from LFS in FL, new, where we used to live.

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I'd be looking for moistsure around it to see where its coming from. Check uynderneath the the top plastic trim and see if its siliconed. If its siliconed all the way around the top, its an oceanic, if not, probaly a AGA or Perfecto.

11. emtp380

emtp380 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have a 55 gal. AGA that was made Aug.1985,, and it is still going

12. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I know of a oceanic 75g that was made in 1980 and still going strong.

I bet if you looked at the silicone it would be deteriating though.