How Long In The Hobby??????

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by baugherb, Jan 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

3-4 years FW, then a 10 year break, and now just about 1 year in SW (4/20/10 will be 1 yea since i bought my reef tank)

2. Click Here!

3. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

FW for 6 yrs then a long break then fresh/brackish for 7 yrs now SW for 2+ months.

First FW tank was a 45 gal. hex, first SW a 10 gal. that quickly became a 20 gal. nano :D.

I would've done SW back in the 80's but it seemed so complicated and such, so I made do with freshwater tanks. Am now in the process of converting my brackish tank to full marine :D

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  4. miracle

miracle Astrea Snail

Started with a FW tank in 1986 with Oscars. Then got a SW tank in 1988 with an anemone my mother called the "ugly". After the Oscars and the "ugly" died we took a break due a busy lifestyle of school and work. We never got rid of our two tanks and got the itch again and started the oscar tank up as a reef tank about 2 years ago.

Since 75 gallons is way to small for a reef for our likings now we just had to buy that 200 gallon RR tank that was on sale at our LFS. Unfortunately, shortly after buying the tank I had to take an unpaid furlough (there went the fish room funds) so the tank is now just waiting for us to start/finish the fish room in our unfinished basement.

While we are saving up money for the fish room we keep toying with doing an inwall build or just a free standing with the sump under the main tank. 3Reef has shown us so many different setups we can't make up our minds now! Oh and we did set up the other spare tank as a planted FW tank. ;D

5. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

1973 I did fresh water. 1993 I started saltwater tanks. Then last year I started reef tanks. It's a great way to be happy about who you are and what you have created.

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

about 28 years in total as an aquarist
    a total of almost 10 years in saltwater

Steve

7. Midwayman1968

Midwayman1968 Spaghetti Worm

Did freshwater in the 80s n 90s
    Now m two months into reefer madness.

8. Click Here!

9. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

I mwondering for those with decades of experience, how long has Marine Tanks been around? Before t5's and LEDs how where corals kept? Where they successful? I imagine tanks decades ago where FOWLR?

10. bama

bama Humpback Whale

Freshwater, for about 12 years.. Saltwater is 1 year..

11. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

Freshwater about 15 yrs, saltwater going on 6 yrs.

12. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

It's been 20+ for me. I don't feel old at all:)