How long does ick last?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by mwlude, Mar 18, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

You need a minimum of 8 weeks to kill ich with no host and preferably 12 weeks and even this may not kill it. I've battled it for a year and ended up tearing down my tank. Raise the temp to 82-84F, the higher the better and remove all your fish for 8-12 weeks. Try to keep the lights off as much as possible too. Treat all your fish with copper which is the only effective treatment. And make sure you get a copper test kit that is the same brand as your copper treatment. Just check out all the failures posted at Wetwebmedia, Aquarium, Pond, Marine and Freshwater Fish, reef tanks, and Aquatics Information This is a bad disease and very difficult to eradicate.

All your new fish should have a FW dip and QT for 2-4 weeks. I now treat all my new fish with low level copper. And I dont buy any more live rock. I use dead rock and live sand.

Good Luck!

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Here is some food for thought Raven... White Spot Disease or Marine Ich - Cryptocaryon Diagnosis and Treatment "Although copper is very effective on Oodinium, and it works well to eliminate crypto organisms in their free-swimming tomite stage, it is not as effective on the Cryptocaryon trophonts that burrow deeply into the tissues of fish. A combination of freshwater and formalin treatments adminstered by means of dips, baths, and prolonged treatment over a period of time in a QT is recommended. "

Formalin can be picked up online for like $10 plus shipping.

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

We all need to remember that if you treat a tank with copper, you must be very wary when adding any new inverts or coral. Copper will be absorbed by the rock in your tank as well as the sand...and stay there for some time. If there is even a trace amount left it can be disastrous

5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Thats why we all said to use QT for treating.

6. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Formalin is effective but has a narrow therapeutic vs toxic range as well as being carcinogenic. As far as the burrowing trophonts, thats why you have to treat with copper for 2 weeks and why FW dips don't fully eradicate ich. Thats why I dip and QT for 2-3 weeks and now treat with low dose copper but have lately been tryng this new product called LifeGuard SW tablets. It's basically a form of chlorine that is safe for fish but toxic to bacteria, fungi and ich.

You bring up good points Geekdafied!

1 person likes this.
  7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

as do you bro!

+karma

8. Click Here!

9. mwlude

mwlude Astrea Snail

I figured I would give an update. With elevated temps (84) and garlic two of my fish died when it came back the second time. I am going to let the tank sit fish less for at least 12 + weeks and set up a QT tank.

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

80 maybe 81 was all you needed to turn up the heat just enough to speed up the life cycle of the flagellates ,84 was to high Oxygen was lowered to much.