How long does ich stay on the fish?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by mabbus, Sep 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mabbus

mabbus Bristle Worm

Yesterday morning my LN butterfly seemed fine. Last night my wife said, do you realise that you fish is covered in white spot. Sure enough, tail and fins covered in white spots. Woke up this morning (less then 12 hours later) and it's all gone.

He hangs out with my two clowns, and they fan the sand quite alot, so I can't make out if it's sand particles that stick to him, or ich. If ich stays on for longer then 12 hours, then I guess it's sand. He eats like a pig and swims around happily, plus I have two clowns and a gobie and they show no signs of anything?

2. Click Here!

3. chappy85

chappy85 Coral Banded Shrimp

My wrasse has shown ich for periods shorter than 8 hours a couple times.
    I guessed that it had gotten stressed by something and then gotten over it just as quick.

4. jrwoltman

jrwoltman Skunk Shrimp

Once a fish has ich, it has it forever. It will go away when the fish is not stressed and is eating well. However, when it is stressed out again the ich will return, maybe only for a day or two, but longer depending on tank conditions and stressors.

The good news is, if a fish does survive its first bout with ich, it will be better able to handle future episodes and will get over them rather quickly.

Good luck,

Jim

5. mabbus

mabbus Bristle Worm

Thanks for the replies, wow I didn't realise it could come and go so soon :( Well he looks fine, certainly doesn't seem phased and he has always been chilled, so no idea why he would have gotten stressed