How Long does a Ballast Last ???

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by markgsiy, Nov 7, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. markgsiy

markgsiy Astrea Snail

Hi Everyone !!

I have a simple question.... I currently have a dual 55W PC lighting. I have had it for over a year and a half now. Does anyone know how long the ballasts should last on these fixtures ?

The reason I am asking is that even if I replace the bulbs (Compact Flourescent) every year or so, doesn't the ballast need to be replaced in order to be able to supply the correct amps or volts to the PC ? I am finding that the light intensity is not as strong as when I first purchased it back in 2002.

The bulbs I am using are 10000K and the last time I replaced them was in May 2003.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone has...

MS

2. Click Here!

3. Scooterman

Scooterman Plankton

How did you determine the intesity isn't the same? Unless you use a LuX meter I can't see how you could tell, unless it is really, really going out!
    What type of ballast? Normaly Ballast will last 4 or 5 years more or less. Depending on the quality of the product you purchase.

4. markgsiy

markgsiy Astrea Snail

In terms of the intensity, you are right that I did not use any LuX meter. However, it just seems that the "brightness" of the area is just not as bright as I remember it.

It is possible that I am just getting used to the intensity, but I am looking at possibly upgrading my lighting so I just wanted to know how long a ballast usually last so that I can figure out when would be a good time to upgrade.

Thanks for the info.

MS

5. Trickman2

Trickman2 Bristle Worm

Seems like a silly question to ask. The bulbs wouldn't run properly if the ballast was going bad. I would be pretty sure if would flicker or show signs of failing. If you really worried you probably could test the voltage the unit is putting out but I think that is kinda silly to do. Another thing is bulbs degrade during they lifespan. I don't know how your budget is but I just bought a kit from Inovative lighting solutions for t-5 Ho setup. Might wanna look into it. http://www.il-solutions.com/ Personally I think the bulbs are more of a issue and the ballast should be no concern unless it fails.