Urgent How long can corals stay in bags? HELP!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Toallhisdoom, Aug 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

So ordered corals, were supposed to be delivered yesterday when my bud was home. Had to change address to my work because the shipment was delayed. They were delivered around 11am. and i wont be able to get them home till about 7pm tonight. Also water in some of the bags looks pretty dirty.
    ton of zoos
    feather duster
    ricordia
    mushroom
    pom xenia

Will they be ok? what should i do? i can get them home floating in the tank around 445. But then have to leave right away for appointment at 5.

What does everyone recommend? I don't have time to drip acclimate them until 7pm.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Toallhisdoom

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I would take a small amount of display water, put it in a bucket, put all the corals in that bucket with the display water and put an air stone in it.

I have never drip acclimated a coral in my life.

Zoanthids and mushrooms I would not be worried about, the feather duster, ricordia and xenia seem to be the most troublesome when it comes to shipping.

5. Toallhisdoom

Why bother putting them in the bucket? why not just put them right in then? not trying to argue or anything! just wondering whats the diff if they are in a bucket with display water? or in the display with display water?

6. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

IMO they will be fine. the corals you picked are some of the more hardy of the coral. the only issue i see is the temp outside where you are

7. Toallhisdoom

there was a cold pack and they were in a cooler. sooooo they should be alright. They are at my job with me now AC is at around 75-78

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I would put some of the bag water into the bucket as well, less of a change in pH and other parameters immediately.

All I can tell you that it's the way I do it.

They may very well be fine until you can drip acclimate them at 7pm.

The 3 corals I listed are the ones that sometimes melted when left in a shipping bag for too long.

Good luck

10. Toallhisdoom

Ahh ok i thought u meant with just display water i was a bit confused. Ok thanks for the info!

11. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

You should be fine. When I have corals shipped to me, it takes over 50 hours due to my remote location. I've had corals and fish both shipped to me quite successfully. If they were packed well, they can last a fairly long time in those bags.

12. Toallhisdoom

woah! alright well that is reassuring :)