how long after cycle to do water change

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by schackmel, Aug 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I didn't do a water change for about 3-4 months and have done one since (8 months). Everything is well and happy, and my pocketbook loves that I still have over a half bucket of salt. If you keep everything in order and have the proper cleanup crew you shouldn't have to do many water changes if any. Like Tangster says most water changes are performed to "band-aid" a real problem. I know opinions vary greatly on this subject so I won't push the matter but the "no regular water change" rule has worked great for myself and many others included. Just my 2 cents, and it saves even more than that!

2. Click Here!

3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

OK, I am confused now. I was under the impression that nitrates were the end product of the nitrogen cycle and that the only way they are dispensed with are DSB, macroalgae, denitrators or water changes. Do the nitrates go up, then go down, then head back up until something is done about it? Or did we have two typos in a row and ya'll meant nitrites?

4. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Don't forget Live rock. It will lower nitrates to some degree, so if there's nothing in the tank to create more, it will go back down once the nitrate-reducing bacteria are present.

1 person likes this.
  5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Dig it dude. Thanks.

6. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

My tank (FOWLR) is going on 18 months now and I have yet to do a water change. Params are rock-steady, fish are all healthy and eating like pigs.

I feed once every couple of days.

If your parameters are in-check why change water?

Never really understood the need to fix something that isn't broken.

Like bmshehan said "I know opinions vary greatly on this subject so I won't push the matter" and neither will I.

Cheers!