how long after cycle to do water change

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by schackmel, Aug 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I can not remember....how long after you set up a new tank (actually transfer) before you are to do your first water change? I guess it has been about 4 1/2 weeks now and everything is going well, but have that itch to do a water change!!!

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i would say you probably should do one. newly set up tanks need water changes atleast monthly if not weekly.

4. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

What's your parameters? I did mine the week after the Ammonia and Nitrites dropped to zero. Then, the following week I added my cleanup crew (after testing to make sure my other parameters (such as dKh, PH, and Calcium) were still the same). It's been a week since I added the cleaners and everyone is still alive and happy.

5. mact4life

mact4life Astrea Snail

Check the nitrate if thats high its time

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Will need to do regular and significant water changes after starting to add fish. Esp with a newly cycled tank.

Don't do until initial nitrate levels bottom out...that means cycle completed...

Test often and let water params tell you when change needed, or if/when to add more livestock.

Good Luck!!!

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I do a water change every two weeks at the outside. When I do them it is a 30% change. There are soooooo many ways of doing this, just find the one that works for you. Since you do not have to worry about losing any good bacteria in a water change, I would go ahead and do one now.

Then, once your tank gets cycled, get into a routine. Your livestock will thank you for it. it is one of the most important acts of maintenance you can perform IMO.

Peace.......John.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I wouldn't wait until the problem developes before taking action. While high nitrates are not nearly as damaging as high ammonia and nitrites, it is still something to be avoided.

10. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

High nitrates on a new tank is a sign that the tank hasn't finished cycling.
    Like OmarD said (is there any reason to doubt him) wait until your nitrates bottom out. This means the cycle is finished. I waited until 1 week after my nitrates were zero.

They always hop up a little after I add a new fish, but them come right back down the next week. Of course I do a 10% water change weekly and a 30% water change monthly.

Gin

11. 1st time

1st time Purple Spiny Lobster

This is one of my Oh Dear moments----I never had an ammonia or nitrite reading, then my nitrates went to 20, it was like this for about a week and I did a water change. They dropped to 10. Then I bought a skimmer and they have never registered anything other 0 since then---Did I screw up?

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I made the mistake on my first tank and did a water change to fast. It had not finished cycling and I went ahead and did a 30% water change...well that just delayed it for a while longer. So I wanted to make sure I waited long enough this time..just could not remember how long. My parameters look good, I have a HORRIFIC time with my pH it is 7.8 I add buffer and it keeps dropping. I am going to add some tonight, but need to go buy more. My kH is low at 8, SG at 1.024 working at trying to get up to 1.025 but everything else is negative. So I am making water tonight and will do water change tonight. I am going to dose kalk tomorrow after I do water change (and retest it)

For some reason all my tanks run low pH wise at 7.8 Does not matter if I make the water or if I buy water from LFS...must have too many things breathing in my house. I tell my dogs to hold their breath but they dont listen!