How in the........?!?!

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Brandon1023, Apr 15, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Ok I have googled and googled, and cant find anything on this. After a visit to my LFS, I saw they had frags of hammer corals.....?? How do you frag hammers? Or L.T. Plates? Or any LPS for that matter? I can't find anything on it. Does anyone have a link to a good article or how-to page about this? Has anyone done it? Successfully? THANKS in advance!

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Well for most LPS you need to cut them...I personally have never done it...but many people either cut with some sort of saw...or for hammers that branch you can get some pliers (Sp) and sorta break it off. :)

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Bruce is right on regarding branching hammers.

However, if you have the other type of hammer, I like to make the tissue recede where I want to make my cut. A couple of weeks before I frag, I rubberband the coral over the tissue trying to get in between the polyps as much as possible. The tissue will shrink back and seal up on both sides of the rubberband. Then I use a dremel and cut the skeleton where the rubberband was.

5. My2heartboys

My2heartboys Fire Worm

Brandon, www.garf.org has a lot of links regarding fragging. I know I have another link lurking around---but got to find it. Give me a little bit and I might be able to find it---our local club just redid their website so finding things at this point can be a little difficult.

Anne

6. My2heartboys

My2heartboys Fire Worm

Brandon---here is the other one http://www.frags.org/resources.php

Anne

1 person likes this.
  7. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

THANKS Anne! I had garf already but frags.org has some great info! I'm checking it out now..... ;D ;D

8. Click Here!

9. My2heartboys

My2heartboys Fire Worm

No problem. :0)

Anne