How important is RO water in a FOWLR tank??

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by CMC53, Mar 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

So Nana, what means of chemical filtration does he need to buy then?

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

You know what i'm getting at, a mental note that this guy is gonna have a dead fish/algae thread after thread real soon. When he posts why he has hair algae and cyano in a few months you can take care or walking him through getting a RODI and reactor. Or he can listen to us, and save himself the future problems with using tap water.

1 person likes this.
  4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

This thread is disappointing.

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

then make it interesting!;)

6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

ha. I'm going to bed. I'll toss in some more of my thoughts tomorrow.

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I know ya will, its ll good, lets just provide positive feedback.

8. Click Here!

9. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Look guys. The OP stated he returned his unit because he didn't want to use it. That's HIS preference! Not mine. But I'm not here to force my preferences down anybody's throats. I'm here to try an help.
    He asked if his fish would be ok if he used tap water. The answer is yes! I kept my answer simple. It was obvious to me that he knew something about the possible side effects of using tap water as he states he has a couple of UV units. So to me he's not totally ignorant.

I've been keeping aquariums for 35+ years. Before ro/di was even heard of. What do you think we used? Research it guys!

Now I'm done because I feel terrible for HIGHJACKING this thread trying to prove a point.

To the OP-I apologize :)

10. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

nice I can pretty much post the same thing in two threads.

I dig RODI water, i did well without it for years. My tap water has a TDS of anywhere from 75-150 depending on the months which is pretty good (glad I live in Montana) but most urban areas can get water around 500 out of the tap.

I also think phosphates are not as huge of a deal with a FO tank but with probably $1500-$2500 dollars in fish a $100 RODI you keep in the closet might not be a terrible idea... the whole "Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Parting shot as I log off for the night, I think some people need to take an adderall and chill out

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

yeah lets not help him, that will be much better! getting a RODI can not in any fashion be known as a bad idea. SO while i respect ya nanna, you're way off base here.

12. CMC53

CMC53 Astrea Snail

WOW! Is this the twilight zone?!? You're the only person who either read my entire post, or the only one who understands it. ;D.. Thank you!!

People are still asking why I didnt buy an RO unit?? Bottom line is I'm not going to buy an RO unit especially after the fact that I know that it uspets Officer Cosmo of the fish tank police, being that I dont have one!! ::) haha!!! Sounds like tank Envy to me. Check Craigslist buddy I'm sure they are selling some big tanks somewhere..