How important is RO water in a FOWLR tank??

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by CMC53, Mar 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

thank you!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

The OP has already stated he DOES NOT want to use the RO/DI unit!! So instead of forcing your preferences down his throat, or what you think HE SHOULD DO or what TERRIBLE issues he's going to have if he doesnt do it your way. Why not give him some other alternatives? Like I was doing :) its actually called Helping!
    His fish will not die from using tap water, fact! He can prevent algae outbreaks by treating his water, fact! Phosphates, nitrates, silicates all can be removed via chemical filtration, fact! GFO right? Carbon right? Think outside the box!!!

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Great points! guide him through that! Or have him buy a RODI from the get go and not have to worry about all the extra testing, and reactors and pellets, etc FACT

$125 buys a TON more safety than all the issues of a reactor IMO and saves ya tom]ns of cash

5. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I don't have an RO/DI unit, but I do buy RO/DI water. I agree with you though that he can treat his water with other methods. These other methods of chemical filtration will add up quickly and end up costing more then RO/DI unit in no time. I was just suggesting that the RO/DI unit could be hooked his water source for the washing machine or even honestly to an outside faucet and using buckets to transport the water in for water changes.

6. Anldyxp

Anldyxp Skunk Shrimp

I agree with Nana. Tap water is fine for just fish. I used it before I got corals. But than I started getting bubble algae so I switched to RO/DI. Although a PIA, all those nasty types of algae can be treated one way or another. It's just that most people would prefer not to spend the time and money to deal with it by using RO/DI in the first place. =]

1 person likes this.
  7. Anldyxp

Anldyxp Skunk Shrimp

This is what I mean. Tap is just fine but using RODI from the get go will save you time, money and PI your A. =]

Same here, I still don't own a RODI unit. Once your tank is stable you only have to change the water like once a month. I spend $1.50 each month on water for water changes.

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

My point exactly! Buy a RODI or save that cash on other means, like a biopellet reactor.
    Sure RODIs cost ya $150 but how much does your time, and a biopellet reactor and the pellets cost? Just as much! So why fight the battle when its inevitable?

10. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I spend about $8 per week on distilled water from the store. That's 6 gallons for top-off and 2 gallons for a water change (29g tank w 10g sump). If you want to go this route, or spend money on chemicals (such as dechlorinater) to purify the tap water, go ahead. But you will recoup your money from buying an RODI unit, in just a few months' time. I plan to buy one soon myself.

An RODI unit takes up very little space. Yes, you have that initial investment, but it will be worth it in the long run. SpectraPure (manufacturer of top-of-the-line RODI units) is still having their sale for refurbished units. they are selling their 90 gallon per day units for $120, marked down from $260. Just buy the in-line dual TDS meter for another $30. if you wanted to make the purchase even more worth the money, you could buy an add-on drinking water kit from Purely H2O, so you would have RO water form a separate tap at your kitchen sink (and RODI unit could go in the cabinet below)...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  11. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

He just wanted to know if his tank/fish would be ok if he uses tap water. Yes!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  12. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I don't understand what the fit is all about. If he already bought a unit, why did he return it?