how important is it to have a protein skimmer?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Lovemyreef2015, Mar 14, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I have an sc302, it's only 180 dollars and it's a beast for my 75 reef. Stay away from coralife!

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. greatwhitetang7

greatwhitetang7 Plankton

400 for a reef octopus .. I'm assuming you need hang on and Imo they are the cheaper of the two I would recommend.. But either way a hob-1000 will do up to a 90 gal .. And can be purchased as cheap as 150 on Amazon .. Worth every penny .. While I say any is better than none .. The cheap ones are crap and yes the coralife super skimmers are crap .. They work well ... When they aren't flooding lol

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.
  4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

An in sump skimmer is preferred if you have the room and correct depth. You will also need a chamber with a constant water level. The most important aspect
    the skimmer is the pump. A good quality pump is esential as it will run 24-7. Cheap pumps lead to restarting issues and can be a real pita. Since you have a low bioload (very wise BTW) this Reef Octopus would be a good choice.
    http://www.marinedepot.com/Reef_Oct...kimmers-Reef_Octopus-CV20534-FIPSHOVS-vi.html
    Your tank size is kinda right down the middle of nano and larger sized aquariums so finding the perfect size is difficult. If you have the room a larger skimmer would work but is not absolutely necessary.http://www.marinedepot.com/Reef_Oct...kimmers-Reef_Octopus-CV25140-FIPSISNW-vi.html

Reef Octopus are solid middle of the road skimmers.

Mr. Bill, DSC reef and Lovemyreef2015 like this.