How good are vortechs?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Recliner, Mar 2, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Recliner

Recliner Flamingo Tongue

I have a tall 150 reef tank. Currently I have 4 hydor koralia 750s and my return pump for flow and still seem to have dead spots.
    Would a mp10w and a mp40w be all I need? I know they'd put out more Gph but there's only 2 and they'd both have to be on the back of my tank as my tank is built out of a wall and the other 3 sides don't have a plug anywhere near them.

2. Click Here!

3. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

They're real good. I'd do two mp40s if you can. You could always run an extension cord so you can put them on the side

4. Recliner

Recliner Flamingo Tongue

Is that because I could turn them down and have slower wider flow?
    Should just 2 vortechs (either 2 mp40s or 1 mp40 and 1 mp10) provide flow to more areas of my tank then 4 hydor koralia 750s?

5. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

They're awesome at making random waves that results in current throughout the tank. Yes, they can move much more Gph than the koralias. Mp10s can go up to 1500 or so max Gph each. The mp40s much more then that. If I had the money I'd have two mp40s in my tank. Lookup YouTube videos and reviews of them. They're bad to the bone.

Mp10s are rated up to only 50 gallons. The mp40s are rated much higher.

6. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

mp40's move 3200 gph each. Vortech are on of the few pumps that are actually underrated according to a study. I would go with two of them on that tank

7. Mrhighline

Mrhighline Fire Shrimp

Worth every dollar. My corals LOVE IT. My torch is crazy happy!

8. Click Here!

9. Airstreamin

Airstreamin Astrea Snail

Go with 2 MP40s you will not be disappointed. Reefcrest mode is great at generating random flow and current in the tank and with 2 you can set them to antisync to add even more.

10. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Man, they are really expensive though... I am running 4 Koralias. Are they really THAT much better? I am not scared to spend the money, but I have to know that they are really worth the investment to replace what already works well. Can you elaborate on the benefits???

11. Mrhighline

Mrhighline Fire Shrimp

Better PE, more random chaotic flow. My sps loves the flow. How bigs your tank?

12. Mrhighline

Mrhighline Fire Shrimp

Also the motor is outside the tank. Less heat transfer and more space in the tank.