How fast does ich kill?

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Bunner, Jul 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

Hi There,

how fast does ich generally kill a fish? 1-2 weeks? I searched and searched but couldnt find an answer.

anyone have experince with it?

I suspect my firefish had it. I had alot of white dots and what appeared to be some slime. It got better. but it was looking grim. Is it possible that it wasnt ich? alot of threads i read say they almost always die and dont get better on their own.

thanks,
    Bunner

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Its different in every case. Some fish will die over night some will get it and live through ichs life cycle several times. My fish have survived ichs life cycle several times and they dont seem to care a whole lot.

1 person likes this.
  4. Bunner

ah ok thats good new then. I think my tang may have go it... but he seems to be eating normally and is still very active. He also has been showing signs of ich for like 2 weeks

5. mikejrice

Tangs are very prone to ich. As long as its still eating and acting normal I wouldnt worry about it.

6. Bunner

hmm interesting thanks. well i will see in time i guess...

7. mikejrice

Might want to try feeding some food soaked in garlic and vitamins if you dont already. Should help keep up there immune systems.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. LVsuckerfish

LVsuckerfish Fire Shrimp

with tangs I agree but for me other fish that had ich died I treated and qt'd for along time and still died.

tangs I never treated only added a cleaner wrasse and my problem was solved for all my fish.

10. divott

divott Giant Squid

good advice from mike. my purple tang showed some signs of ich for a very short time. more stress induced. but he was always eating and swimming fine, and quite quickly all signs of it were gone . and hes my fav fish still. good luck bunner.

11. Bunner

ya thanks. well so far so good. ill wait for another week or so. its in my system already now

12. Bunner

just an update: My kole tang has lost all "ich" spots or what i thought was ich. so ill update in another week to see if it bouces back.

edit: Without treatment. No garlic or vitamins. Just nori, new life pellets and algae in my tank.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009