How fast do your zoas grow?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Av8Bluewater, Dec 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Just wandering how fast these things spread. How fast do yours spread and what type of lighting are you using/depth from light.

2. Click Here!

3. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

I have some green zoas that I had gotten as live rock. I put them in when my tank was cycleing and didn't see any growth. There was 3 when I started and in 9 months I have about 30 to 40. They have spread to other rocks and I have started to move some of them to other tanks.

4. plecosword

plecosword Plankton

new Zoas about one a month, I have a 65W PC over 20g

5. nanoreefer555

nanoreefer555 Fire Shrimp

Depends on the type. Different varieties have different requirements so you may have some do really well and others in the same tank just kinda remain static. However, if they are happy, they can start popping new heads all the time. I have only small patches, but they are good for several new polyps every week. Also keep in mind that larger patches of zoas will reproduce more new polyps in a given unit of time than a smaller patch can.

6. tinnghe

tinnghe Purple Spiny Lobster

mine if i leave it alone, it grow really fast, once i move it, it start to break apart, then stop growing. i have read that they might have release themselve and migrate to a different spot somewhere in the tank. that happend to my two big colony already. they only haft the size they are now. so i won't move anything in my tank anymore.

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I get about 1 head per week on average with mine. Some types more, some a little less. Most of mine are at bottom level. 150W MH/80W T-5 over a 40 gallon.

8. Click Here!

9. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

faster than i would like them to.

10. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

In my experience as stated before it depends on the type of zoa but also the current size of your colony, mine tend to spread more on the edges of the colony and you have more edge space on a large colony than if you're just starting out with like 2 polyps.

After they take a week or two to get acclimated to the tank I see the beginning of new polyps anywhere from every week to every month but on my small colonies that's only 1 or 2 polyps, on my slightly larger ones that could be 3-4 polys in the same time period and unless something changes its going to go exponentially from there.

Mine are about 16 inches away from T5 lighting, on the sand.

11. morau89

morau89 Fire Shrimp

I see 1 or 2 new polyps every other week and sometimes every week on the fast ones. My slower zoas I see like 2-3 polyps every month. My lighting is 6x54watt T5's

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  12. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

very fast.. 150w Viper K2 MH and 24w pc actinic over 5.5 gallons....

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008