How fast do Star Polyps grow?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by HollyG, Jul 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

I have a small frag of star polyps that I have had for about 2 weeks now and all that is new is 1 new head and a small amount of growth of the mat (roughly 1mm) on one end. In 2 weeks is that fast growth or slow growth? I have moderate lighting. This is my first coral so I'm not sure how fast they grow, I hear they grow fast but I have yet to see it first hand :) I want my tank to be overrun with these little star polyps, i love them. i may have only 1 or 2 other corals in time.

2. Click Here!

3. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Some types grow faster than others. We've had a frag disk for more than 6 months and it hasn't even covered the disk yet. Got to talking to the LFS where we got it from, and he said it's probably the slower-growing one. He had 4 different kinds (3 green) & he said one grows slow, and one grows super fast.

4. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I've had mine for about 3-4 weeks now and it is growing steadily, but I would say fast. It takes time for the coral to adjust to your tank and lighting before they start to grow.

[​IMG]

This is what my GSP looked like when I got it.

[​IMG]

This is what it looks like as of about 1.5 weeks ago. It hadn't attached itself to the other rock yet in that pic, but now it has finally attached itself to the bigger rock. I'm thinking about trying to get this GSP to grow on the back glass.

5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

There are a lot of factors. Under the right conditions, they can grow like weeds. However, corals are all very sensitive to their environment. Star polyps like lots of nutrients and high bacterial counts. In cleaner environments, they don't always grow so fast, it depends really on the tank. Also, IME, they seem to do better under moderate lighting, I haven't found they do as well under intense lighting.

1 person likes this.
  6. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

Too fast..I like to keep them at the top of my tank wear they grow really fast. In really high nutrient systems they grow alot faster. IN my biocube where there isnt that many nutrients i get about 1.5 inches a month...In my old 29g i got 2.5-3 inches a month.

7. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

My buddies tank had his grow about a foot and cover about a foot in diameter of the back glass on his tank in less than a year. Its closer to the top with a 4 bulb t5 unit. Nutrient rich and has been set up for well over a year. So his system is very stable. His may be a strand that grows insane fast though.

8. Click Here!

9. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

My gsp grew sloooooowwww!!!

10. toua

toua Flamingo Tongue

mine was slow at the beginning on a plug from the lfs but once it attached to a rock that thing grew like crazy. i don't know if it eats poo but every morning when i first turn on the lights my firefish will come out of it's cave and poo on the gsp, and i mean EVERY MORNING!