How fast do fish grow? (generally)

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by GuitarMan89, Sep 24, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reef goddess

reef goddess 3reef Sponsor

On the hippo I really can't agree with Geek. Hippo tangs even if fed a normal amount probably will grow at least an inch per year, maybe a little more. Now if you only feed your fish twice a week (I've known people that do) then maybe they will grow slow.

We feed our fish 3-4 small servings each day. We also have big skimmers and lots of inverts. ;]
    I've found purple tangs and mimic tangs to be some of the slower growing tangs. Like a lemonpeel mimic tang would be good because it really won't outgrow your tank because their max size is 3.5-4" and that takes a long time.

I would be a little wary on the angels because there is no guarantee that they won't get nippy on your corals. I've always wanted a rusty angel myself, but have never been willing to risk my corals.
    There are some very nice wrasses that would do well in that size tank. Or a flamehawk. It depends on what you're looking for in your last fish addition.

Just be sure not to wait until your damsel gets very big/aggressive. And chromis don't usually last too long so you might want to look into some blue-eyed cardinals as a really good schooling fish when the day comes. They maintain their school even after they mature, whereas chromis tend to pick on each other as they get older.

*** For those of you that need to catch any fish in the future, I'll tell you my secret. Turn your lights on at least 3-4 hours after they've been off and catch your fish while they're asleep. Its a piece of cake. I did it that way a year ago, I caught 35 fish out of a 180 in just over 30 minutes using this method and I didn't even need a net. ;]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

thanks for the advice RG, I also was able to catch fish by waiting until they were sleeping, it does make it much much easier.

4. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

I think they grow faster with a protein rich diet. I know most of the foods are protein based, but when I started feeding them food with higher protein amounts, they seemed to grow faster. It could have just been there time to grow so who knows.