How far have you moved your aquarium?

Discussion in '3reef Site Polls' started by Matt Rogers, Nov 10, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

How far have you moved your aquarium and fish?

1. 100 - 500 miles.

66.7%
  2. 500 - 1000 miles.

22.2%
  3. Over 1000!

11.1%
  1. RipTide

RipTide Plankton

I had to move mine to my shop and then back, while we were getting new carpet in the house. That was bad enough. Hope I never have to move it again. If I ever sell the house, they'll have to buy the reef. Then I'll set up a bigger one!! :hehe:

2. Click Here!

3. allaboutfish37

allaboutfish37 Feather Duster

some cars and trucks have an outlet like at home so maybe you can plug in a heater if you have one in your car,;D mine do..or they have those jump start batteries that have an outlet on them..or they have those plugs that go in the cigarette lighter and convert to an outlet. I moved a 150gl and 240gl so I'm getting good at it but don't want to move my 300..my wife wants to buy the house across the street so if we do it should be easy to move the 300 tank;D

Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
  4. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

1 from Cleveland to Chicago and 1 from Carbondale IL to Chicago.

5. Big_Wally_B

Big_Wally_B Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Jay:
    Just to ease your mind a wee bit. Windchill only affects heat producing objects. It will not result in material colder than ambient air. I moved my 75 approx. 400 mi. in similar weather. Water temps were below 50 at end. There was some LR die off but not too terribly bad. Any rock with attached inverts, I kept warmer in the cab. All inverts survived tho some fish died in the first hour.

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Most power inverters, which you'll need to run a AC device from your 12 VDC outlet on your car, don't handle heating devices. Read all instructions prior to doing so.

7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I've moved 20,000g of facility 40 miles. I've moved 100g 200+ miles and countless moves with in town for people.

8. Click Here!

9. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

I have yet to move with my tank, but I fear that it is a project that is coming in the very near future (probably this summer). What would you all recommend? Any sites that provide good step-by-step processes? I was thinking about just breaking my 55 down and selling off the livestock and setting up a new tank in my new place.

10. blue_eyes53813

blue_eyes53813 Flamingo Tongue

Move my 125 gallon twice this year already. January sold my house and had to seperate my livestock, LR everything into to different tanks at my moms house. Her flooring wouldnt hold a 125 gallon. In April moved into my new house and set up a 265 gallon built into the basement wall... It is very frustrating and scarey, But moving is a good time to change anything you may not have liked before. and even get a bigger tank. Oh I was in the same town. So i didnt move very far.

11. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

What about moving 300 miles for liverock? How cold can the liverock get while submerged in rubermaid trashcans in the back of my pickup before there is dieoff? I have the coral and fish part figured out. They will be in styrofoam boxes used for shipping frozen salmon. Packed with those heatpacks and my digital thermometer taped to the box so I can moniter the inside temp while on the road. I am worried about my 175 pounds of liverock. Would you guys buy a 60 dollar ac inverter and run aquarium heaters and powerhead ir just stop every hundred miles and swap out gallon milk jugs full of hot water?
    What about my DSB? I am planning to scrape out the top 1 inch of sand from each tank and put it in a bucket with seawater. Then take the balance of the sand and wash the bajesus out of it with a garden hose. I am gonna scrape every inch of purple from the glass....im happy about this as there is a really thick buildup on the back glass.

Another question for all you gurus here, what about buffing out my scratches in my aquarium. Has anyone ever done this?

Jay

12. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Bump....just a few more questions in the above post before I make the move this week. :stupid:

Thanks