How far have you moved your aquarium?

Discussion in '3reef Site Polls' started by Matt Rogers, Nov 10, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

How far have you moved your aquarium and fish?

1. 100 - 500 miles.

66.7%
  2. 500 - 1000 miles.

22.2%
  3. Over 1000!

11.1%
  1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

How far have you moved your aquarium?

I once moved mine from NYC to Chicago in 2 days in the hatch of my Honda Civic. Everything made it! 800 miles!

Tips:
    Coolers, double bag fish with extra water and air from an oxygen tank from your local fish store, wet towels on rocks to keep them damp, and try to bring at least some of original tank water if you can. Watch the temp in the car. May need heat packs.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  2. Click Here!

3. Area 51 Exotics

Area 51 Exotics 3reef Sponsor

Luckily I haven't had to yet!

4. nfarocks

nfarocks Astrea Snail

I've moved mine twice....i managed to keep all the water....
    i had to rent a Uhaul but made it with no problems.....i only moved mine 150 km...lucky i guess...

5. Wendy

Wendy Astrea Snail

I had a frogfish, bought in Florida, and hauled him up in a cooler to Connecticut, a bunch of years ago. When moving, or removing from tank temporarily, I swear by thick plastic bags. Lost some when I put them in rubbermaid. Won't EVER do that again!!!

6. bluealien

bluealien Plankton

I need to move mine over about 3 feet. Still debating if it's worth the move.

7. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Moved it twice when I was in the Navy. Once from Connecticut to Virginia and then from Virginia to Florida. I kept the fish in a cleaned kitchen 20 gal waste bucket, it's tall and skinny so it fits behind the car seat. I put an battery operated air pump in with the fish. Everything made it.
    I didn't have any corals back then..
    Jim

8. Click Here!

9. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Moving mine 3 miles down the road in late March/Early April when the new house is done. Not far to go, but still nerve wracking!

10. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

I moved mine around 110 miles from the Dallas, Tx area to Whitehouse,Tx. I had hired someone to breakdown the tank, move and set back up the tank. Even though he did almost all of the work it was still nerve racking for me. We used 2 pick up trucks, mine and his. Everything made it just fine. Had the fish is big tubs and buckets (had 26 fish) and kept those areated until we put them on the truck. 200lbs of live rock were kept in tubs of water as well as all of the coral. I kept all of the water from that tank and then had extra water waiting from the lfs.

Cindy

11. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Never really moved it but changed the stand a couple months ago and lost a fish, occelaris clown. but i will probebly be mooving next summer so ill see how that goes...

Marc.

12. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

You know its funny thing you posted this right now. I got layed off last week and am moving to Vancouver Washington this month. I have 2 full 55 gallon reef tanks to move. I have arranged to keep all my livestock at Woodys Seahorse shop in Portland. He is a big LFS and has agreed to house my pets for a while. I am moveing all this stuff next week. It will take me 3 trips to move my stuff 300 miles. I have those big long white coolers to put the bagged up fish and corals in. I will put the liverock in 35 gallon rubermaid cans with water. Do you think my liverock will have much dieoff if I move them in these cans in the back of my truck while its 30 degrees. With the windchill factor the water may get really cold!. I thought about using gallon milk jugs full of hot water floating in the trash cans with the LR to keep the temp up. What do you think????

Jay