How does a drilled tank work?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Kashoub, Aug 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

How does it work? Water flows into the overflow right? Overflow fills and the whole drilled in the back allows water to fall to the sump. Wouldn't the sump overflow since the tank has more water than it and is constantly draining into it?

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

There are usually two holes in the bottom of the tank. Both are inside of an overflow box One is for the return water that comes out in the main tank. The water level is near the teeth of the top of an overflow box. As is goes into the overflow box it then goes into a pipe and back down to the tank.

5. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

the sump has a pump, that means that it is the pump that is supplying the tank by pumping volume X as long as the drain hole can handle (volume X)the return flow, their is no problems.

6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

The way the system works acually starts with the pump. Imajine you start with your sump full. The tank is not completely full so the water level is not up to the overflow point where the water drops down into the drilled hole. Now you turn on the pump which begins pumping water back into the tank. When the pump fills the tank to the overflow point water starts to spill into the overflow and drop into the drilled holes. from there it goes down to the sump where the water is being pumped from. So as long as your return pump is pumping a little less than your overflow has the ability to handle the water level in your tank will stay right at the overflow level.

7. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

Right after I posted this question it clicked. Lol. Water can't be draining unless water is added. Therefore never overflowing the sump. Bah. I'm an idiot. :p

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Its a very confusing simple complicated balance when you first start considering it.;) I had the same questions when I first thought of setting mine up.

10. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

you said it!...... not me lol j/k

11. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

haha. I hate you. Lol. j/k. Very simple, yet complicated, but not. All at the same time.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  12. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

I had the same question when we started out ;) Once I saw an actual tank and overflow in action, it all made sense. The difficulty is just picturing how it would work if you had never seen something using this concept before. Once I saw a tank with an overflow and return pump I was like "...how am I so stupid?" We just think too hard I guess :)