How do you run carbon?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Katie Grant, Mar 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Katie Grant

Katie Grant Aiptasia Anemone

Thanks that deff helps. I did notice a tinyy bit of ammonia once when I tested, unless it was an error with the test because I havent seen it ever since that one time.

Ive also head that you can just wrap a bunch in like bridal netting and possibly through it into my overflow box??

2. Click Here!

3. DanKistner

DanKistner Coral Banded Shrimp

Good information. UncleJed

4. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

Where would you put carbon in your sump?

5. DanKistner

DanKistner Coral Banded Shrimp

If it were me, i would set up a media reactor. I don't think you want all of your water passing through carbon at one time because it may filter out good things like pods I may be wrong though.

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

In my larger tanks I use a Phosban Reactor filled with carbon and a MJ400 powerhead. In my smaller tanks I place it in a bag in a low to medium flow area so the carbon is not agitated too much which grinds it to dust. I change it more frequently in the bag since they tend to plug up.

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Carbon absorbs metals , chemicals odors ...and allkinds of organic nastiness. Gelbstoff - is a "yellowing" of the water that builds up over time from living things. Carbon will remove this and you may even not notice it's there until some carbon removes it and makes the water clearer.
    It can be run in a mesh sock in a high flow area or a reactor for better results. I won't run a tank without it. Mainly to neutralize any smell.

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

im thinking about running carbon as well, my water is clear also but like you have particles that float around in the water column and i have this annoying what i call "junk" that loves to sit at the surface and it REALLY annoys me, i cant get it to come out, after water changes its still there and my skimmer cant seem to get it. So i cant wait until i get ahold of some carbon and see if that "junk" goes away

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i have a filter sock over the output of my HOB skimmer, i have to wash my sock about once or twice a week because it gets really brown and gross, would i be able to put carbon in the sock, and just change out the carbon when i clean the sock?

11. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Yes, most who use it that way use a fine mesh (micron) bag.
    Thanks.
    If in a mesh bag, it should be put before the return chamber.

12. BrianJ

BrianJ Peppermint Shrimp

Carbon might help but really the only way to get rid of surface scum is to add an overflow that skims the surface and is fed directly to your skimmer/sump.