How do you move Coral

Discussion in 'Coral' started by philip_r5, Dec 19, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. philip_r5

philip_r5 Feather Duster

Hello. I was wondering if there is a way to move a piece of coral off a rock? The reason for this is I got some frags from the lfs and they are on little rocks that just look odd in my tank. I was wondering if there is a method that can move them to a different rock. Thanks

I have Colts and Pulsating Xenia. Does it matter on different kinds? Just curious on that part. Thanks

They are Able to be pulled out of tank.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2006
  2. Click Here!

3. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

What kind of coral is it?

4. serotonin

Can you get the corals out of the water and frag outside the tank?

5. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Fire Worm

Hi Phillip,

Let's start with your colt coral, why not frag them instead of move them if they are healthy? Here's a great article on an easy way to frag colts:
    COLT CORAL PROAGATION
    Garf also has a nice description on how to frag xenia (very easy). Take a look:
    REEF AQUARIUM FARMING NEWS # 27 p 3
    If you don't want to frag the xenia, just wedge the rock into a crevace where you want it to spread. Eventually the stalks will attached to the other rock and you're cood to go. Takes a few weeks, but coral propogating is act of patience.

6. philip_r5

philip_r5 Feather Duster

No the Colt and the Xenia are both frags. I recieved them on little pieces of rock and want to move them to my main rock.

7. serotonin

Here's the deal, if they are securely attached to smaller rocks. Take them out and cut them with a razorblade off your small rocks. You're going to have to scrape the remnants off your small rocks or they will start growing right back whre you cut them off.

With your new frags, If possible, use the needle and thread method and sew them right onto your new piece of rock. If not, try a small peice of rubble and sew to that. Once they adhere to the new rubble, use some super glue to secure this to your new desired location. Beware that xenia grows like a weed!

This is the method I found best for me, other opinions may differ.

Ryan