How do you know if the protein skimmer is working

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by queshibo, Nov 27, 2006.

1. queshibo

queshibo Astrea Snail

I am new to this hobby. I purchased a 75gal tank about a year ago when I was back in the states. I built my own stand and everything except for the filter. After about 9 months of putting this tank together, I was finally able to get it set up. Live rock is illegal to collect here in Hawaii, or have it imported which makes my case a little more difficult. None the less there are ways ways of getting rock. So now I will start. My wet/dry filter has a protein skimmer built into it from pro aquatics. How do you know if its working right and is it supposed to be running all day 24/7. If i let it run, it will take out about a 1-2 gallons a day of water. I dont really get the mud type fluid that I see alot of people talking about. Can someone help me out with this problem.
  2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I couldn't find anything from Pro Aquatics on the Internet to help you. However, I did find some things from Proclear Aquatics. Is that what you have?

Pro Wet Dry
  4. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

skimmer

How long has the skimmer been running? Some of them take a week or two to kick in. I have the remora skimmer and mine doesn't remove thick gumk either but it still removes a brown liquid.

Are you planning a fish only or a reef set up? If you could get one or 2 pieces of liverock the rest could be a base rock and the liverock would seed the base. I have 40lbs LR in my tank and 20lbs of tufa rock which has already seeded from the LR. In only 5 months and my tufa is turning purple, has critters on it.
  5. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

I'm not familiar with that brand either.

It does sound like you have WAY too much output for a 75. I have 600g in system and don't draw that much in a week. What type of controls do you have on it? Off the cuff, it sounds like the water level is too high in the skimmer. Is there a waste gate or adjustable output that you can open up?
  6. queshibo

queshibo Astrea Snail

sry it is the proclear rated for 150gal. i have the water level in the sump just below the egcrate. The only control that i have is for the pump which allows to turn on and on off the bubbles or amount of air going into the skimmer part