How Do You Keep A New Tank Disease Free?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Puffer Chick, Jul 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

With my new tank, which would be my first reef, i want to make sure i wont have any health issues. So what do i do to prepare for a long term healthy tank?

I will not have a quarantine as i don't have the room for another tank. I will use ro/di water from lfs. I will also have only 2 fish in the tank, my puffer and a melanurus warsse. With the low fish population, would i have a good chance of a healthy tank. I don't want to experience any of the horror stories of so many tanks going downhill just because of one little problem.

2. Click Here!

3. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

dip every and any livestock you put in your tank.

but at last the story will still come:-[

4. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

My advice is, dont buy on impulse. Sorry thats all I got.

5. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

i think it would be very hard and nearly impossible. but using a qt and dipping would be helpful

6. LVsuckerfish

LVsuckerfish Fire Shrimp

with out a QT you have a 50/50 chance of having a trouble free tank. fish you buy and corals find out the history on if you buy from a loacl reefer ask if they had any issues in there tank before. @ a bare minimum dip all corals and fish in there own speacial dips and aclimate properly. and do not ever use anyone elses water. Now feeding if you feed frozen thaw your food and drain all water into the sink and add to new fresh rodi water this will help keep the nutrients down. and proper maintenance. keep tank glass clean and its equipment. and change filter media out reguarly. and you will have a better shot with out a qt. inspect all corals and fish.

I 10 acre woods I believe has a video on aclimating fish. same for corals. but remember to dip and also remember not to add the water. no matters whos water it is. I don't even cross my waters in my own tanks. at home. hopefully that will help you.

7. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

QT / hospital tank would be your best bet, even if its only a 10 gallon.

~Will.

8. Click Here!

9. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

qt + not buying on impulse...think they covered all the bases. no qt isn't the way to go, but if you can't do it any other way....puffers and wrasses in reefs are always fun...watch out inverts! :)

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

now what exactly is dipping? i've been hearing a lot about it but yet, really no idea what it menas. Is it just dipping the coral in the tank for a bit, then taking it out, then doing it over again?

11. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Trying to keep a tank diseases free is like trying to keep a brand new car from getting the very common dings and nicks that we all get at the super-market. You can take precautions, but sooner or later you do get one.

Luna