How do you guys do this?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by DBOSHIBBY, Sep 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

haha now i have something to look forward to!

2. Click Here!

3. CoralCrazy

CoralCrazy Spaghetti Worm

LOL.. I am there just tell me when! ;D

4. NaClCrocodile

NaClCrocodile Skunk Shrimp

I can't say I'm in your situation, but unemployed, 17, and about to pile on mountains of debt (well, hopefully not) in college. I got a good deal on a 75 with stand and jumped on it. That was about a month ago. The tank is sitting in the garage waiting for me to drill it. Last week I got a 50% off coupon from a LFS and got my return pump (they don't have the lights I want). I'll be detailing cars this weekend, possibly selling some electronics, and just saving wherever I can. Protein skimmer is on the christmas list so maybe, but who knows. I refuse to get something just because it's cheap though. It's going to take me a while, but I've got a 10gal that's keeping me busy. I may try and get some part time at a LFS... Just don't give up.

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I have to agree that it's really a priority thing. I save on other aspects of my expenses. Although I am lucky right now, I'm still in school, law school, and live at home. I work 1 night a week at a bar, and just started a part time job at a local law firm. All my school expenses are loans, so when I graduate I will have a s**t load of debt, but hopefully a good job. My long time girlfriend has a teaching job, and hopefully when I graduate, i will get a job and then buy a house with my gf. Hopefully then I will be able to set up my dream system, or at least start to. Right now I'm just spending to maintain my tank, supplements, salt and food. I want to hold on corals not only because I'm running out of room, but I want what I have to grow out.

(That was cool, I accidentally said "s**t, but not edited and it edited the word automatically, never new the boards did that)

6. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

well guys i took all you guys advice and searched craigslist and didnt really come up with anything. in the mean time i was putting 20 bucks a week away. i finally saved up enough to get brand new lights.
    and yest i purchased my first corals. (no pics yet)
    i got just a few frags. frogspawn, 2 zoo patches, and a single ricoria mushroom (kinda orange with a green center, technical name anyone??)
    i just want to thank everyone who gave advice. i was kinda down in the dumps about the whole thing and you guys lifted me up and i couldnt be happier about my tank now.

some crappy cell pics

thanks 3reef!!

Attached Files:

7. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

Check out a LFS called The Fish Doctor's. There's one in Trenton, Ypsi, Canton, and Adrian. They have pretty decent prices. I've found tons of great stuff on CL by just by typing in Saltwater, Salt water, coral, and Fish (tanks). (I live in Taylor).
    Let me know if you need help finding some stuff. I wouldn't mind helping out at all :D

8. Click Here!

9. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

ya i will check it out. i just want to make sure my tank is totally ready before i get something expensive to drop in there. i will look into those stores though. thanks!

10. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

You're welcome. They're not too expensive when it comes to their Livestock. I got two baby True Perc clowns for $30, three frags of zoas for $15 and they usually cut you a deal if you just ask. They also have punch cards for every $100 you spend, you get $10 off your next purchase.
    And if you sign up for their news letter,they send you coupons like 10% off anything in the store except live stock, two free feeder fish, $20 off any saltwater fish, etc.