How do you guys do this?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by DBOSHIBBY, Sep 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. brettwest

brettwest Spaghetti Worm

Im with you shibby,I set up my 55 in april and I still havent gotten a light.I lost my job in july and went a month without working.Im now moving into the city so that I'll be able to work two jobs and hopefully get a light.I made most of my own rocks,which cost me around twenty dollars and I still have half a bag of concrete left.My sump is a plastic tub from dollar general.I already had the tank that my brother gave me so the biggest investment I have in it right now is my skimmer which was $100 cuz i bought a cheapy.Hang in there,I still enjoy my tank a lot and it gives me plenty of time to research online and learn more every day.

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Well I am not married nor do I have (or ever want) kids, so that helps a lot. Have you ever seen the Duece Bigalow movies? ;)

4. coloradoReef

coloradoReef 3reef Sponsor

I am spending my kids inharitance (SP)

and I am sure I wont retire!

5. wfb2270

wfb2270 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

i am new to this also (about 5 months now), one thing i am learning the hard way is to have a plan for whatever you are doing whether its treating a sick fish (spent alot of $$$ on things i didn't need or didn't do anything), reducing nitrates, or just something as simple (ha i guess its not the simple) as stocking the tank. I am currently planning a sump/refuge which my time spent on research i am hoping is going to give me a lower cost and even better operation then an "off the self" unit.

BTW i too haven't pulled the trigger on the lights. i check grisliest every other day or so.

6. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

i'll tell u this much i am broke i buy everything piece by piece whenever i can afford it but the more i buy the prettier it gets .plus buy used on sumthings sometimes i buy twice but its only because i have a problem called the right now disease

7. sid101

sid101 Astrea Snail

I have just been saving like crazy, i believe the procwess of putting everything together and buying what has to be bought would take me at leats 1 year and i plan on a lot of DIY stuff

8. Click Here!

9. tcmemphisbbq

tcmemphisbbq Spaghetti Worm

Shop cheap on ebay and diy as much as you can, ,eg I built my own sump vs paying 300.00 - i got my t5's for 100 on ebay w/new bulbs...bought a lesser quality skimmer and modified it to save money. etc etc -

10. devlzluv

devlzluv Ritteri Anemone

lol patience and luck of the draw, heck im upgrading to a 75g now from my 65g tall, guy is selling it to me for 75 bucks. Its brand new and never seen water, just so happens another guy is giving his 37g away for free. Right there i have my DT and sump, only need to buy plumbing and build my stand and canopy. Patience is all I can say.

11. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Yep, my 200g tank was right around 400 dollars in the end. Save up,buy quality equipment and pre planning will all help you be successful.

12. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Bit by bit. A coral here. A fish there. Never a bunch of stuff all at once. It takes time!