how do you get frags.to stand up in containers at swaps

Discussion in 'Frags' started by bbrian189, Jan 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bbrian189

bbrian189 Skunk Shrimp

I am going to a swap tomorrow and want to bring frags in small tupperware containers. I will set up my light over the small containers . Many of my frags are sps on plugs. How should I keep the plugs upright in the containers on the table...any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

If you go to lowes or home depot, you can get a sheet of "egg crate". It's in the ceiling tiles section. You can then cut it into shapes that will fit in the containers and place the plugs in the grid that it makes.

I just bought a sheet (2' by 4') to make a frag rack and it was like $12 from Lowes.

1 person likes this.
  4. bbrian189

bbrian189 Skunk Shrimp

Sorry I should have been clearer. They are likw he small deli containers. The size of a small wonton soup. You think enough eggcrate will fit in there?. Sorry for my typing I am on my phone at work

5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Ill see you there tomorrow! I am actually going up tonight to set my tank up...
    anyways, you will probably just have to let them sit sideways. If someone is interested they can take the top of and look at it closely under light. I have seen other people doing that before.

So what all are you bringing?

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

what type of frag plugs are they on?

if you are intending to place one plug into one container and all the plugs are the same type and size?

reef putty pressed into a ball on base of tupperware container and then an empty plug pushed into it, then removed before it sets
    leave the putty to harden overnight and tomorrow you will have a rock of putty with the shape of the plug set into it

then you can place your fragged corals into the containers and they will stand up

1 person likes this.
  7. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Actually, that is what I had envisioned when you said it. I think it would work fine because the grid that I purchased was 3/4" squares. I guess it all depends on how many frags you are trying to get in each "wonton container" lol, but I would imagine it should work pretty well.

I am estimating that the wonton containers are about 4" in diameter, so I would guess you could probably get about 4-5 frags in each assuming 1" frag plugs. The picture below is what I would try to replicate. The wonton container wall is the large blue circle at 4" the grid is 3/4" squares and the solid blue circles are 1" frag plugs. It SHOULD be very close to scale.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. bbrian189

bbrian189 Skunk Shrimp

They are just on the regular 3/4" ocean wonder frag plugs . They have the little stub on the bottom to fit in frag racks

10. bbrian189

bbrian189 Skunk Shrimp

Hmm that's areally good idea Steve thanks

11. bbrian189

bbrian189 Skunk Shrimp

Haha. Then you would trim the egg crate around the sides to fit into the container and prop it up off of the bottom?

12. bbrian189

bbrian189 Skunk Shrimp

Awesome man . I'm just bringing some stuff that was over growing in my tank and some things promised to people on fragswapper. But I wanna still sell the stuff in case of no shows. You gonna have any extra room in your tank? ;)