how do you clean cyano off open brain?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by mcfarrow, Feb 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mcfarrow

mcfarrow Skunk Shrimp

Hey guys, I've been battling a little cyano lately and some has started covering part of my green open brain. I try to vac it off when I do water changes but I can't get it all off. I want to give this guy some extra attention.
    any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

You could try throwing a hermit on there. It seems a bit odd, but sometimes they'll snack on the stuff.

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

99 cent turkey baster from the grocery store. Instead of trying to suck it off, completely submerge it and blow it off.

5. mcfarrow

mcfarrow Skunk Shrimp

I think its has gone from bad to worse. After a combo of the baster I use for feeding and lifting it up into the flow of the powerheads it appears to have bryopsis on the tips of the skeleton. It looks browner and maybe greener this morning and I think I saw the beginning of some hairs sticking off. I havent seen any bryopsis for a couple months now. I thought I got the better of it. dang
    I'm going to go into crazy water change mode for the next couple of weeks but I'm not sure what else to do besides that. any ideas?

I do have some hermit crabs in there but haven't noticed them working on the brain.

I'll try to take a pic of it tonight to show you guys.

thanks for the help
    M

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

McFarrow,

what part of St. Louis do you live in? Are you in SLASH or SEASL?

7. mcfarrow

mcfarrow Skunk Shrimp

I'm in Richmond Heights. I've only been in this for about a year so I'm still a complete noob. I didn't know about those clubs. It looks like SEASL is more active. Whats the scoop? While your at it, what stores are good for what in town?
    M

8. Click Here!

9. mcfarrow

mcfarrow Skunk Shrimp

have a look, what do you think?

[​IMG]

10. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Hey - i have never seen a yellow brain! thats cool - altho it doesnt look healthy, i dont think the skeleton should be showing at all, nevermind have algae growing on it. Are definately sure it algae and not BJD?

11. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I think it's days are numbered. I bought a red one and didn't notice the slightly exposed skeleton. It eventually got attacked by brown jelly. I was able to see it dissapearing hour by hour.

Paul's Reef: I Lost My Brain

Hope you have better luck than I did.

12. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Its shocking how fast BJD takes a hold of LPS. I not long bought some Lobo, i hadn't noticed in the lfs it was slightly receded. I was kicking myself when i got home! But i have been feeding it every other day and the flesh expanded fully, the skeleton no longer shows!!