How do you clean back glass?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Ballgame, Apr 6, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

I have a live rock and fish tank. Seems like each day I get more green algea. I clean it off but always comes back. My water levels are fine so not sure what to do with that.
    But I have live rock leaning in back glass. Only way to clean back is to move the rocks. That's a major pain. Is the answer to not have rocks lean against back glass? I do that to create caves and hiding spots. Later rocks on top of rocks.
    I have a pure black back drop so using the magnet cleaner I use on front and sides won't work.
    Was hoping to hear how you guys do it and learn som new ways.
    Also should I be adding anything to water to help algea?
    Only fish and live rock. Not coral.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Hey ballgame, what are you using for filtration? What test kits are you using? Are you referring to the brown algae on the sand (diatomes). How old is your tank? On a side note, how do you like the black on the back glass? I'm thinking about doing that color on mine.

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Some folks just don't clean the back. It drives me nuts though.. I like to have mine clean so My rocks don't touch the back wall. I left space for that purpose.
    Some tanks the plan is to just grow a big wall of corals so you'll never see it anyway.. Every tank is different. ;D

5. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Sounds like we like our tanks the same way.

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I've always left the back glass alone. Algae is mostly beneficial to any system- it feeds on excess nutrients and provides food for herbivores and CuC. Leaving it on the back glass helps to keep it off the rocks, too. :)

Phil077 likes this.
  7. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Thanks yeah should have mentioned my filtration.
    This was a gift 7 months ago. Up and running since them. Wife went to LFS and they suggested cannister. It's a 75 gallon and wasn't planning on doing coral so while cannister isn't the best it still works. It cycles tank 8 times an hour. But feel like I don't have enough filtration. Can't do a refrudge' cause no room for the sump.
    Use API master test kit. PH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. No calcium or magnesium.
    I use Purigen instead of carbon. Also have a hang on skimmer.
    I'm partly colorblind so could be brown. It's on glass and sand.

For me I have to wipe front and sides down daily or every other day. I'm a little anal so could do every 5 days but then it would be thick. I don't mind doing it.
    What drives me crazy is the build up behind rocks. You can see the clear line from clean to dirty. I'm trying an experiment right now. Since I just cleaned glass I moved all rocks into center so I can reach back glass with wiper pad. Not ideal but will try.

As for the black I LOVE it! Love how it looks. Down side though is the glare. I used the plastic backdrop you get at LFS. It's glossy so it produces a glare. Black adds nice depth to the tank. Some people paint it on the back with black mat. I can't reach the back with a paint brush cause too close to wall. That's what I would do. You can take off the paint if don't like. But yeah I love it. Very clean look. Just wish I could fix the glare

Thanks guys. This place is so helpful

8. Click Here!

9. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Thanks for the review on the black. I'll probably paint mine black. Maybe you could hang a skimmer from the side if it doesn't fit in the back? Also, salifertis a better test kit. Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates should help you get a feel for what's causing the algae.

10. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I have one of those long scrapers to fit back there.

11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

The green film algae that you clean off every day is normal. I would leave the back alone as Mr. Bill said it's beneficial to the tank. My turbo snails make quick work of any algae. In time the back glass will grow purple coralline algae if you let it be. I wouldn't move the rocks constantly.

12. special juice

special juice Feather Duster

On my FOWLR, I have never cleaned the back wall. Several fish enjoy nibbling at growth on it. I painted it black and love it. I'm finally starting to get some coralline growth on the glass and overflow and hope that soon it will just cover the entire thing.