how do you buy a new aquarium?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by reeferdude, Feb 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reeferdude

reeferdude Fire Shrimp

why am i having so much trouble trying to buy new reef tank!?! got my taxes back and i plan on buying a 120 gallon drilled (reef ready) tank. it seems that my resourses are very limited. cant mail order because of shipping cost. i only have 2 truly salt water stores. checked with one the other day, they had one 120 with 2 overflows, aqueon i think was the name brand. $700.00 tank only. i asked them what comes with it or if they had a kit or something? i think i just blew his mind! couldn't never get a straight answer. i'm sure they hardly ever sell a big tank like that. it seemed like if i knew what i wanted, knew what size pump and all that good stuff, i could grab a shopping cart and go at it!!!! they have alot of accesaries. just about anything you could want. i have $2,000 to spend. if i'm going to spend that much money, i want to be sold something, you know what i mean?
    these jerks totally did nothing for me!!! they didn't talk, explain, try to upsell or anything. as i was leaving, i asked one of them if they had some papers or liteature on the aquarium so i could review and make an informed decision and they said no. they did how ever asked me what i needed to know-----jerk!!! in the back of my mind i was thinking, yeah i got a question, does it hold water? can you put fish in it? f**king moron!!!
    can i get some info from my fellow reefers PLEASE? what brand is better or worst than others for reef aquarium? which overflow system is better than others? which is better for not leaking? which one will outlast the others? acrylic or glass?
    i hate being so limited for resources. whats even worse is having the money and wanting to spend it and not be able to find what you want. i can't even find any decent web sites to visit for info on aquariums:furious3:

2. Click Here!

3. Snowby

Snowby Astrea Snail

Reeferdude. Wow, does sound like the LFS is like many others around the country. They all want to sell you something without selling you something. I LMAO with the unasked questions. My experience with large aquariums is minimal except for wanting one and shopping around. I have visited many stores here in the Fort Lauderdale area and I feel that for a 120 gallon tank alone, $700 is a lot. I have found 235's for that. I know 90 gallons run around $350 down here. Now I know that doesn't help you much but it at least sets some ground pricing. As far as acrylic vs. glass, I've only owned glass. Acrylic will cost more. I have seen a few deals on craigslist, but it's hit and miss. Acrylic gives you the ability to have very unique shapes. It does scratch if your not careful and there are not many dealers that I know who deal with them. Here is a link to Aqueons website, formerly all glass aquariums.

Aqueon

Here is a guy who does beautiful acrylic work. Worth looking around.
    Melevsreef.com - Welcome!

I have owned only Odell (don't think they are around anymore) and all glass. I have had no problems with all glass. My Odell just gave way after 24 years. A great tank.

I believe the 'extra' stuff the LFS said comes with the tank is simply the overflow kits that plumb the drains in the corners. Most dealerships will throw them in.

As far as info on aquariums, there are many great people on this forum that I am sure will chime in with links. I don't have any bookmarked, sorry.

Good luck to you and with patience you can get yourself a dandy of a set-up for $2000.

4. JBL

JBL Sea Dragon

You could also check craigslist. I have found people getting out of the hobby, and gotten much $$$$ for my buck. I am sure you wqan tnew, but for the same money, if it comes with the live rock and other stuff, its worth a try. IMO

5. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Oceanic is the top of the line in quality tanks.
    Then Aqueon, formerly AGA (which now owns Oceanic, I think).
    Then Perfecto, who have claimed to have increased their quality.
    And also some other custom made or not widely known brands.

Sometimes it's best to buy salt and livestock at your local fish store to save on the heavy shipping items and overnight delivery costs.

Are you going to build a stand for it, or buy a stand?
    You can often buy the pump, skimmer, powerheads, and other accessories from online stores for much less than your LFS, or used if you shop around on ebay or craigslist.
    You need to have some patience and wait for a good deal if you are going to buy used or even do anything in this hobby.

1 person likes this.
  6. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Well I have had All-GLASS, Oceanic(GLASS), and at this time have a RED SEA(GLASS) and a Tenecor(ACRYLIC). Like them all. As mentioned by Snowby Acrylic does scratch very easy so you need to be very careful.

The best thing you can do is look at the show off your tank threads and see if any tanks jump out at you. Then go to the persons page and ask them what they have.

A 120+ is a tank you will be very happy with.. Tanks come in many dimensions which in my opinion should be a big factor during your decision making. I don't like my tanks to tall because(I am short) I like to be able to reach the bottom of my tank.

Reef Ready is going to cost more. My opinion worth the extra cost.

The Tenecor I recently picked up from someone off craiglist which included everything plus protein skimmer, pumps etc.. It was a year old and he had payed around 4000.00 for everything new, I waited him out and kept asking for bottom line and he finally gave it up at 1500.00. You will never recoup what you payed for it so I suggest looking on craiglist and be patient. Everyone prices high in the beginning and about a month after people asking them to come down they will.

7. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Frustrating for sure. I would find a place online like this one, Pet Safari Online Store: Aqueon 120 Gallon Megaflow Tank_

Find out what the shipping cost would be, print it out and go to them to see if they will beat or match. Thenget everything else you need mail order if they are no good to deal with ..

Cheers

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

$700.00 for a brand new 120 gallon reef ready is a very fair price dude. Thats not out of line at all. You should see how much my LFS tries to sell tanks for. They have a 75 gallon in there for $849.99, and its not drilled, no stand, nothing. Just the tank.
    If you want something a lot cheaper, your going to have to go used. And used sounds like it is going to be your only option for your tight budget. $2000.00 is not a very allowing budget to do a 120 gallon reef properly, and would be tough even going used for as much as possible.

10. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I had the same problem when I bought my 90gal. I finally bought it at petco on sale. As mentioned before Craigslist is a good source. I'd look under fish tank or aquarium. People can be dummies when listing. You can also order from glasscages.com I don't know how they are, but they do have a LARGE selection, including custom made. I'd check ebay, you never know, someone maybe selling one local to you..

Good luck on your search!

11. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I think that is a lot for a tank. If you just wait and check flee-bay and craigs list you can find some idiot that rushed a tank and is getting out because of algae problems. Some times even get the LR with the purchase. Check Here too as you will always find someone selling something. Just select your region.

12. reeferdude

reeferdude Fire Shrimp

thanks to all, very helpfull. i guess prices do very from state to state. i am going to build my own stand, store bought looks really good on the outside but are total crap. molded together out of sawdust and way over priced. i will definatly check out the links and craigslist.

1 person likes this.