How do Turbo Snails die?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Brandon1023, May 26, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

I recently bought 4 turbo snails along with several other clean up crew members. I have noticed 2 of my turbos on their "backs" in the sand, and the little plate or whatever that is when they close up is pretty deep in their shells. I righted one and it seemed to start moving around, but now it is back on its...back. Is this what they do when they die? They aren't even trying to get back up like they were a day or so ago......I honestly haven't tried setting them back up again, because I'm not sure what's at work here. Any thoughts or experiences would be helpful. Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. mallasee

mallasee Astrea Snail

I have 3 mexican turbos in my tank. I have noticed that sometimes they will just fall off the glass or off a rock into an area where they cant get ahold of anything to right themselves. I just flip them over and sometimes the come right out and scurry off. Most of the time they are stressed and will chill in their shell for a while. If yours are new they may not be used to the environment and are scared after you flip them.

4. EPIC LOKI

EPIC LOKI Astrea Snail

bubbles in there shells maybe? ive heard it can happen if you take them out of the water...not sure maybe try rotating them under the water and see what happens

1 person likes this.
  5. CodyW

CodyW Spaghetti Worm

Brandon, I read that some turbo's don't do well with warmer water. Sometimes mine will not move for a few hours, if they don't move for a few days I would assume they are done. I loose about 1 out of 5 but the ones that make it are doing great.

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Turbos need to be affixed to either live rock or the glass of your tank in order to survive. They can't navigate on the sand like a Nassirus snail can. Also alot of times they die due to lack of food. Also, water parameters need to be consistent and in fairly good order or they will parish.

7. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

When they start falling off the glass and rocks and turning upside down, they are losing energy. Culprit... lack of food or water params are stressing it. Yep, if they start to turn upside down a lot and the little plate sinks deep, take them out before they die and rot.

Be sure to acclimate them when you bring them in, they do get shocked too y ou know.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

As bad as an anemone!!

Man I took out the two that haven't moved in days and they smelled BAD! Almost worse then a dead anemone!! :sick: Well I'm not sure what happened to those 2, the other 2 seem to be steaming along with no problems......I tested my water and the nitrates are a little higher than normal, like 10. Usually they are undetectable, but that's probably because of the rotting turbos in the water for a couple days......... Everything else seems fine, especially all my corals. Which usually are an indicator of bad water in my experience. I did a change a little more than a week ago. In my battle with red slime, I have cut back feeding a LOT. Like every other day for the fish, once every 1 1/2 weeks with the micro-vert, and once or twice every 1-1 1/2 weeks for the sun coral. :confused1 ......................oh well, guess its just one of those things.

1 person likes this.
  10. asilefx

asilefx Skunk Shrimp

My turbos take strolls through the sand quite often, to get from the rocks to the glass. They do quite well.

11. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

I have a turbo that will only move at night (the other two move all day and all night. You may have a nocturnal snail.

12. Superpede1

Superpede1 Astrea Snail

My turbos scoot along the sand bed sometimes too...